Sunday, February 8, 2015

Adventures in gardening - Air layering figs - 2/8/15

Last year I was generously gifted with LOADS of figs. My friends MK and DK invited me to pick figs, take cuttings, and even to take photos of the trees (memories of Grandma's yard, folks).

All this winter DK and I have discussed propagating figs. They have two (prolific) trees that bear large tasty figs. They have another tree that once bore huge purple crazy-sweet fruit.* That fig tree still grows in the side yard, but does not produce. It is hanging on - almost an afterthought in their garden. In fact, they thought the fig was dead, but we found it last year - still sending up shoots, but producing no figs.

In the past I have simply shoved the cuttings in the ground and hoped for the best - and it has been successful. But last year I wrapped cuttings in newspaper and/or paper towels and tried some in the frig and some outside. Nothing worked.**

DK and I have been watching a variety of YouTube videos and reading up on air layering. It looked worth trying. So, THIS YEAR we agreed to experiment. We know that there is some indication (OK - lots of advice) that we should start when the trees are actively growing (i.e., SPRING). However, some gardeners used dormant wood and we are impatient. We decided to take advantage of some unseasonably warm weather and try a few air layers. We have marked them with the date so that we can track which ones worked best (if any work at all). I will be tracking progress here with these and future efforts...brave, no?

The fellow*** whose method we are using has guaranteed success. We laughed about it as we taped the plastic bottles on the most vertical "sucker" limbs that we could find.

DK and I started with the "special" fig. We taped the bottles, filled them with dirt and then watered them. Then we braced the air layered limbs - taping them to sturdier limbs. Hopefully they will hold long enough for us to get some good growth.

The next tree we addressed was a Bartlett pear.  It had two suckers midway up the trunk at a perfect level for us to work. Then we moved to the other pear in the orchard. Apparently pears need to have at least a second variety for pollination (I know nothing of pears - I take DK's word for it as he is an expert gardener).

Finally, I took the last bottle and used it on one of the trees that bore so faithfully last summer.

We may have worked a little too long. I know I was worn out and ready for a rest. Two hours may be too long for us (perhaps it was the dirt and water hauling too!).

The plan is to water at least once a week if the layers feel dry and then to try another round of air layering in March and one in April. That will allow us to compare for future reference.

I took a cutting from each tree and brought them home for two more experiments. I tried the paper towel method**** and the "stick it in the dirt" method.

I have noted a couple of other videos and websites.***** I am saving them here for future reference as I want to be able to find them easily and my bookmarks are a mess.

SUPPLY LIST:

scissors
duct tape (we got bright colors to be able to locate them easily when the trees fill out
plastic tape
felt marker (to write on the bottles)
large plastic bottles (soft drink bottles 1 to 2 liter size)
milk jug (to water the layers every now and again)
plant clippers (garden shears - whatever you call 'em)
plastic bags (you never know)
gloves (if you want them)
dirt (I bought three kinds - I like to start with good dirt before I throw caution to the wind and grab a shovelful from the flowerbed.)
water
garden seat (DH gave it to me YEARS ago. I have never used it. Yeah retirement!)
notebook and pen - to document what we are doing.
hat
sunscreen (This is for my kids - I used to remind them/now they remind me.)

I planned to take zip ties as well to try some other techniques, but I cannot find the container and refuse to purchase more.

Oh, and camera. I will try and document photographically so we can figure out what we may have done correctly and incorrectly.

PHOTOS:

Some of the supplies - we mixed 3 kinds of soil.

One of our first. Our technique got better as we went along.
We dated each.
DK is much neater than I am. Here we are working on the Bartlett pear.
Of course, I get distracted. Here is a dried pear, just above my head.
And above that was this amazing nest.
"It's a dove nest," said DK.
"White wing?" I ask. "No, mourning dove," said he.
DK tamps down the soil.
Then he waters it in.
The last bottle for February.
On my way out I took a couple more photos of our handiwork.

2-12-15

Spent a few minutes wrapping the air layers with bubble wrap for insulation as it may freeze tonight. I will do some research to see if this will hurt our efforts. All the layers were still damp-ish. Fingers are still crossed.



NOTES:

* I want one of these mythic figs! We don't know the official name. M has a name for it. I have forgotten.

** I did poorly - my cuttings molded (I think I did not follow directions correctly).

*** I love this guy ("They won't let me use power tools anymore.")!

1. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d2c3zTPd3EA
2. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ckwixtXZ86c

****This is the "paper towel" method.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_o1flDehO1w (turn UP the volume as this guy is soft-spoken).

*****
This fellow is in New England. He cuts the bark and uses rooting medium. The message boards say that is a way to invite rot - that figs don't need the peeled bark and rooting hormone. I believe simple is better. The boards also say foil isn't necessary. I think you find a spot out of the sun and you are good.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ggxFE6lHY5E

This is good basic fig information. http://figs4fun.com/basics.html

Identifying figs. http://web.archive.org/web/20120319053438/http://www.raysfiginfo.com/id-dark.html





3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. DK says the mystery fig is a Bathenjani fig (from Palestine). I have no reason to doubt him. He has seen the figs and eaten them.

    In researching more Texas varieties I also found one called Texas Blue Giant that sounds pretty nice. I believe I might be looking for this one in the nursery. They do well in Central (read that San Antonio) and South Texas so I may be asking my brothers to look when they are shopping for plants.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. http://www.texasgardener.com/pastissues/marapr08/Figs.html

      http://www.davewilson.com/product-information/product/texas-blue-giant-fig

      Delete

Thanks for coming along on the walk. Your comments are welcome.