Sunday, April 27, 2014

H-U-M-I-D

We dragged ourselves through the humid air to the park and home.

The temps are in the 70s, but the humidity reminded me of the coast. There is a reason I do not live on the coast. I do not take vacations at the beach.

The plants are loving it, though. The honeysuckle climbs on trees and bushes all along the edge of the woods. Some later blooming wildflowers are establishing their roots and leaves and starting to bud. A few evening primroses and wild lantana bloom. And the "spit bugs"* (we used to have in our side yard) are making their slimy homes in some of the tall grasses.

The bright yellow and white blooms scented the morning breeze.

The flowers in the foreground fluttered in the breeze.

Evening primrose
 The spear grass bows over with the weight of the maturing spears. [Wish my sister was here for a spear grass fight.] I have tried to save spears and I have mailed some to her in the past, but they shrivel as they dry. It seems only fresh spears can provide torment for siblings.

We saw the "bastard cabbage"** making the news for shading out the bluebonnet. I have been using the more polite name "wild mustard." Only this year have I heard its other name. But it is a menace, so I get it. I have watched it take over fields and roadsides. I suppose it is something I need to pull when I see it.

Finally, I have been noticing purple blooming trees throughout the countryside. This walk allowed me to examine the blooms closely. They are lovely little blooms. I looked at the trees and tried to imagine what they are like later in the season - "Oh, no!" I thought. "These are chinaberry blooms."*** And Google disclosed that they are.

Chinaberry blossoms
We also observed a bald patch in the grass near the park. We thought it might be where logs from a fallen tree had been stacked. When we got closer it disclosed itself - a giant red ant bed. I cannot recall the last time I saw a red ant bed. I used to hate them (as all ants love me), but it was nice to see them. Perhaps the fire ant is on the wane and others are making a come-back.

Not a crop circle.
Not an alien ship landing place or a spot in a lawn burned by fertilizer or Roundup.
Red ant bed.

So, my walk was humid - even sweaty - and full of invasive plants and odd insects. Good morning.



NOTES:

www.TexasInvasives.org is a great website. It reminded me that the purple blooming vinca vining through the woods is also an invasive plant. Our little stretch of woods in the park seems to be full of invasives.

*http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Froghopper (Don't you love that name? FROGHOPPER!)

**http://www.texasinvasives.org/plant_database/detail.php?symbol=RARU

***http://www.texasinvasives.org/plant_database/detail.php?symbol=MEAZ

2 comments:

  1. Loved this one and followed all your links for learning! Thanks for sharing. I saw lots of chinaberry trees around Austin, Round Rock and on 183 this weekend. I didn't realize they were invasive! Loved the ant bed, reminded me of those I saw as a child with horny toads on them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alice, I think I do this for the "learning" as well. I am often surprised by all the information that is "out there." I too was really excited to see the red ants. I almost never see them anymore.

      We used to love chinaberry trees too - more ammunition to use against siblings and cousins!

      Delete

Thanks for coming along on the walk. Your comments are welcome.