Sunday, March 2, 2014

Wet feet, wet dog - walkers and watchers and runners.

It was 70 degrees and raining when I woke today (at 5:15, I might add). DH was gearing up for a half marathon.

It was clear that I would not be walking the dogs. But I promised DH and LD that I would head to the springs and climb up to the dam (across which they would run) if it stopped raining. I decided that I would take only one dog as two would be impossible to manage. Of course I would make the trip ONLY if it stopped raining.

And it did.

I fed the dogs and discovered that, while it had cleared a bit, the temperature had dropped to 45 and a stiff breeze had started blowing in from the northwest.

Now, I have watched races for the past 30 some-odd years. I do not run. [I have tried it and I do not like it. I get a stitch in my side and all I can think is how much I want to stop running.] But I live in a family of runners and so I still watch races from time to time.* I have learned to dress for the weather, take water, and make sure the camera is ready. It was hard today. The weather kept changing and I forgot the camera battery was almost dead.

I figured it would take us about 20 minutes to walk to the top of the dam. DH takes about 2 hours and a smidgen to run a half. LD takes a little longer. So I figured that leaving the house at 7 would give me time to get into the park and climb up to the dam a few minutes before the old fellow and LD crossed (cheering them through the end of the first half of the half).

The springs' gate was locked (of course it was) so we turned around and checked to see if there was any spot where we could park and walk closer to the race route. It looked like the road beyond was blocked, but I was able to cross the road, past the police cruiser with lights flashing,  and drive to a small park on the other side of the dam. Scruffy** and I wandered around to see how close we could get to the dam road.

I was bundled up in parka and bright hat. I found lined gloves and a blanket in the car. I took my "look" to new extremes of ridiculous, but I was warm...until my feet got wet. Scruffy looked fabulous.

The "turn-around" at mile 7 with the dam behind.

Scruffy and I got to mile 7 the easy way - we drove.


We walked through the wet grass and noticed that the wildflowers have started coming up. The leaves of the bluebonnet were out, promising a blanket of blue in the next month or so. Radio trucks were setting up along the road. Crowds of people with tents, lawn chairs and such began lining the route.

Soon enough, runners started across the dam. The fast ones approached the turn-around in ones and twos. Then the runners started coming in groups as well...soldiers and civilians, young and old...some serious, many listening to music...two carried flags...a couple smiled and waved at the crazy lady with the black dog.

Runner carrying the American flag.

Then there he was and DH talked to us as he ran past - "OC is on the other side of the dam." ***


Gotta love this guy - wouldn't stand out in the rain for just anyone.


LD waives. Her friend J is to the left.  DH is two runners to the right (running the other direction having completed the turn-around).

Then I heard LD's voice. I looked and she was waiving.

Our job was done. We headed back to the car, glad to get out of the weather. The rain began again when we were a few blocks from home. The temperature had continued to drop. It was 39 degrees and time to get out of these wet shoes.


NOTES:

*While youngest child was in high school I spent most weekends during cross-country season driving to meets, photographing amazing/dedicated young runners, developing film, and taking selected shots to the local newspaper (trying to get each senior and most runners in the papers at least once a season). At the end of the year we prepared a book for each runner. During each meet I would photograph sometimes 6 races, trying to catch the start and then "running" across the course to grab a shot in the middle somewhere. I was in much better shape then - and a lot younger.

** Scruffy is better behaved than Paddy.

*** Our oldest child chose not to run today, but was the "shuttle" for the family runners. She was able to set up on the north side of the dam while Scruffy and I were on the south side.

And on his way back past us DH suggested that Scruff and I "Go home and get warm." We took his advice.


2 comments:

  1. We had a downpour and cloud to ground lightning 10 minutes before the marathon was to end. Hope everyone on the course and all the staffers are safe. This is the craziest weather ever.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for coming along on the walk. Your comments are welcome.