Saturday, March 8, 2014

Dogs and deer and shovels - no walk

I didn't walk this morning as we had early showers. I had planned to walk this evening, but an hour or so ago I noticed one bright lightning bolt and rushed to get the dogs as the thunder crashed around us.

Paddy is terrified of thunder. Scruff just wants to be inside (out of the rain). So I hustled them in.* Scruffy went to his crate - that is his habit. Paddy came into the living room to sit and relax before going into her crate. It is pouring outside - a surprise storm as we were only to have light showers, if that. If this rain will pass through I will take the dogs down the street for a few minutes...it will be late, but it will be something.

I drove to another town with a friend. Deer were everywhere.

We first saw four deer and three guinea hens come out of the woods and into the road. By the time we left the area we counted at least 20 deer, usually in groups of four or five.  It was mid-morning and they wandered through the neighborhoods grazing in the yards. I took a few pictures of them and a lovely gnarly old oak tree.

What a nightmare it must be to try and garden with this large population of deer.**

As if in a park, I walked into this yard to get a shot of the deer. Only after I got the photos did I think, "These folks probably don't want people running around their yard either."

These guys were fearless.

No, I did not walk up this close. I am using my pitiful telephoto lens.

They started to ignore me (continued grazing) so I clapped my hands (nothing) and then shouted at them to get their faces.

This old oak was so interesting.

Here is a closer look at the gnarled trunk.

Notes:

* The last time I rushed outside to bring a frightened dog in out of the rain I tripped over my own feet, fell face first into a minnow bucket (missing the concrete steps by inches) and broke my nose - necessitating a trip to the ER and a night spent in the hospital for 3 stitches. This night went a little smoother.

** I still think they are beautiful. I am just not going to move to this town and I will keep big dogs in my yard for now.

*** I found a few gifts and stuff at estate sales (my friend made me do it). One treasure was a sharp shooter shovel. This is my favorite kind of shovel. I have a couple of stories about adventures with sharp shooters...well, those stories will have to wait for another day.


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TiQHIXjhwsc

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for coming along on the walk. Your comments are welcome.