Sunday, March 30, 2014

Few wildflowers in the "new" park

It was my day, so DH was willing to do a few errands and take a short trip to the park. We did not bring the puppies because we expected loads of mud after the wild storm of yesterday. It would be enough to deal with muddy shoes...neither of us wanted to chase puppies through the mud or clean them up to get them into the car.*

We parked at the gate and picked our way through the abandoned shotgun shells and broken clay from skeet shooters at this entrance. Then we found a deer trail to follow and zigzagged towards the creek.

Where were  the bluebonnets?

The sun was already high and we were only prepared for a short hike.** We did not see the blue vistas we expected.

We did see a few scattered wildflowers and interesting plants. The seasons should show us some interesting changes if we can get out here regularly.

Wild verbena

Little yellow composite

Another stray flower


But mostly, I am disappointed in the trash throwers. It was worse than I remember from our earlier trip. I guess I was just raised differently, but one is supposed to pick up. You leave a place better than you found it. ***

Some of the scattered trash

Shotgun shell

More shells. I hesitate to show the expanse of trash. You would be shocked. I'll post the trash bags.

I will be bringing gloves and trash bags (and maybe some reinforcements). I have to start working on this mess...although I know the hunters (some shells are scattered throughout the meadows - from hunters, not target shooters) and target shooters and irresponsible users of this public area will be back and will continue to litter.

There are many yuccas at this location. I am anxious to see them blooming. These are the remains of last year's.

These yuccas only look dead. New growth shows green.


* Paddy will let me dry her off and clean her paws. Scruffy nips if you attempt to touch his feet. (I get it.)

** I looked down to see that DH was walking in Crocks! Really?

*** "If it ain't yours, don't break it." 
       "If it doesn't belong to you, don't climb on it."
       "Don't be a litterbug. Be a beauty bug."
       "Don't trash Mother Earth."

2 comments:

  1. I so agree with you about the trash. If we would all do our share, we would have a beautiful country again! My mom always told me to leave a place better than I found it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I keep thinking that I can carry some bags and clean it up over time. Back in the day I would have loaded up a car full of scouts and cleaned it up in no time. Maybe I can interest one of the college clubs in adopting the place...or not.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for coming along on the walk. Your comments are welcome.