Sunday, March 9, 2014

New park, beautiful day!

After an early lunch with OC, DH and I decided (actually, I talked him into it) to scope out the entrance to a new walking spot. The dog whisperer had told me about this place so we were not surprised to see his car parked at one of the gates.

Well, first we had to go home to get the puppies! They were ready for the hike (just like they are now worn out and sleeping in sunny spots in the back yard) and rushed the car. Upon arrival we quickly figured out how to navigate the weird entrance - designed to keep vehicles out, but allow people and dogs in. Then we headed to the creek.

The Whisperer had explained by telephone (I didn't want to wander around and scare him - or miss him - so I called him.) that his dogs had gone after a deer and he was in pursuit by the creek.

The trails here aren't well traveled.* We tried to follow deer trails that crisscrossed the meadow. Cactus and brambles greeted us at the woody area near the creek. We carefully picked our way through (I came out scratched and bleeding in spite of my caution). I will have to check the dogs again to make sure they are clear of burrs and thorns.

The detritus of  hunters and target shooters and others was everywhere to be seen near the gate and throughout the meadow. Bird hunters are allowed here. Apparently no one picks up their empty shotgun shells anymore.**

We whistled for our friends and called out their names. Suddenly, there was Hugo. We wandered closer to the creek and found the Whisperer, but the other two dogs were still wandering elsewhere. The Whisperer's frustration was evident.

I walked the dogs up and down the rocky creek bank. They jumped in and out of the water, shook themselves off, and begged for cookies. Then they ran off and joined DH and I had to find a way up from the creek.

I ended up well to the east in a wooded area. I flushed a cottontail. Knowing I was probably getting lost, I called to DH. "Keep calling me so I can find you"

He was less than 40 feet from me, but the brush was just thick enough to keep me from seeing him***

The men and our dogs and Hugo were just at the edge of the meadow when I reached them. There was still no sign of the missing Stanley and Ruby. The Whisperer decided to head to the car and change into cooler clothes before heading back to look for the missing dogs.

We said our goodbyes and drove along the north edge of the park, stopping and calling without luck.****

PHOTOS:

Paddy doesn't look very excited, but she is.

Look closely at the center of this photo. The leaves of the bluebonnet promise a blanket in this park. I cannot wait.

DH takes the lead. The dogs are still on their lead. I am reluctant to let them run until we are deeper in the park.

We found sweet Hugo or he found us.

Yum...nasty green creek water!

Paddy splashes.

Scruffy splashes too.

He doesn't seem to enjoy the water as much as she does, but he tries.

I think she said "cookie"!
The guys walk well ahead of us.
 
We found tiny bird bones along the creek. They are in the silt filled hollows.

Another view of the tiny bones.

 
While lost-ish I snapped this additional view of the wildflower foliage springing up. More bluebonnet leaves at the center of the shadow.


NOTES:

* The ground was mushy from the recent rain.

** We may have to adopt this park. I suppose we could pick up trash while the dogs run.

*** DH always wears some variety of tan or olive or brown or camo. It doesn't take much for him to disappear into the tans and browns of the winter landscape here.

****I will check with the Whisperer later. His puppies do this from time to time. I trust he will find them.

2 comments:

  1. I hope we get to see the bluebonnets in bloom!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too! It looks like it should be a good year. I will be checking in.

      Delete

Thanks for coming along on the walk. Your comments are welcome.