Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Pulled a fast one

On a day I took off work I was up at 5. DH had said, "If you are up and it is not raining, wake me."

So, I was up waiting for daylight. It was not raining (yet). And I woke up the sleeping one so he could take his early morning run before the streets were filled with cars.

I had failed to watch the weather radar. He had not been gone long when the rain started. When he returned he reported that, mid-course, he had taken one step and the temperature was in the 70s. With the next step the temperature had dropped 30 degrees and the wind and rain started.

That first wave of bad weather passed as day dawned and the pups and I headed out for a quick walk. It was late for us. The older children were waiting for the bus. Dogs were short-leashed to prevent anyone for heading to school with paw prints (I am not so good at that. My co-workers often let me know that I sport unintended spots of mud from an affectionate dog).

We spoke with neighbors who were new to us. "Good morning," said we. A shy "Good morning" was returned and I could almost see the wheels turning in the child's head - "Mom says not to talk to strangers. The crazy lady with the big dogs seems harmless enough." I suppose it passed as neighborly conversation as mom was present.

The park was empty save the city workers. We heard noises in the woods, but we could not tell if it was deer walking gently or the loosely coordinated dripping of rain from branches as the wind blew by.

But we appeared to be the only beasts out in the wet cold. Although we heard the song of the "squeaky hinge" bird (I promise to ask my brother what it is) and saw one Mocking bird perched on the fence line.

We threw one paper on the porch of an elderly neighbor. There was no need for her to worry with walking down slick steps and sidewalk to retrieve it today.

We had already experienced the slick sidewalk. Our hustle across the street was too fast for the weather conditions. Even good hiking boots will slip in the right (or wrong) circumstances. But no blood was drawn - there will only be a bruise on one knee...a reminder of the need for caution in the rain.

So slow down out there on these slick roads. Consider the weather conditions (and watch out for crazy old ladies walking their dogs).

NOTE: I hesitate to mention any falls as I don't want to worry the children. Still...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for coming along on the walk. Your comments are welcome.