Wednesday, November 15, 2017

Wanted: Deadly Nightshade

     Boon nature scattered, free and wild,
     Each plant or flower, the mountain's child.
     Here eglantine embalmed the air,
     Hawthorn and hazel mingled there;
     The primrose pale and violet flower
     Found in each cliff a narrow bower;
     Foxglove and nightshade, side by side,
     Emblems of punishment and pride,
     Grouped their dark hues with every stain
     The weather-beaten crags retain.
~Walter Scott, from The Lady of the Lake 

Yeah, yeah. I got you.

I could have titled this "Nature Nerd Looking for Seed" or "New Pen-pal," but somehow this sounding much more interesting.

Nature nerds have their own social media sites. Sure, some have Facebook pages,* but a couple are dedicated to citizen science. Two that I use are eBird** (bird observations and "honor system" managed by Cornell University) and iNaturalist*** (every living thing - you must post observations with photos and/or audio recording). I'm sure I have mentioned them both before - usually because there's a story about this plant or that bird.

Belted Kingfisher - poor photo, but good enough for iNaturalist.

 You can meet people, keep track of species of interest, find interesting places to bird watch, and more. I have experience all these things, but until this week I had never had anyone ask me if I could get them seeds. I've saved seeds before - usually because I wanted to look them up later or use them for some project or another. I've written about the crazy seeds of the Purple Leatherflower and Old Man's Beard. I mentioned the grass seeds that drilled their way through my pocket and into my thigh (so much for putting seeds "naked" into my pocket).  I hauled a bag of laurel beans and acorns to the tree planting on Saturday. But this is a different deal entirely.

On iNaturalist I have over 1000 observations from multiple states and at least one other country. It is a shorthand travel journal in some cases - California to Washington D.C., all over Texas and in the west of Ireland. I regularly use my lists for reference and apparently others do too.

Two days ago I received a request from JA in Michigan. He saw a certain plant in my observations and he was looking for seeds. Well, JA uses Latin names and I don't. So I had to look the thing up. Even with the common name, I didn't remember the plant. It is not one of my "regulars." So I did a data search and found that I had observed Boerhavia erecta or Erect Spiderling in the now-vacant lot across from the Art Barn in September.
 
Erect Spiderling (Boerhavia erecta)
"They" have dug, destroyed, and mowed that area multiple times in the past few months. It is still full of re-bar, glass, concrete rubble, and other bits and pieces of the building and home that stood there until the college purchased the property and tore them down last Spring. There is some grass and loads of "weeds." I've investigated a little as I need regular stretching breaks when throwing on the wheel.

So JA and I have been corresponding for the past few days. I cannot find the Spiderling. He wondered if I could save seeds from five other species I've observed. Of course I can - they are all located in places I frequent. I love to save seeds. I love to share seeds.

But what about the NIGHTSHADE?
 
Well, one of the things he is looking for is Silverleaf Nightshade. Yes, you remember it, don't you. I love this small wildflower that dominates some areas in late summer. I love the yellow tomatoes that not even the deer will eat (apparently cows are stupid and will eat nightshades). I especially love that it has two close relatives, Horse Nettle and Buffalo Bur (aren't those GREAT NAMES?) that often grow nearby. Each plant is lovely in it's own way even if they are toxic. [Please note we commonly eat many vegetables from the nightshade family.****]
 
Silverleaf Nightshade. The flowers of the Horse Nettle are almost identical (to me, anyway), but the leaves are quite different. Horse Nettle also has spines all over it, unlike the spineless Silverleaf.

So, I asked JA if he needs the others too. Because I love these plants and regularly point them out to people I hike with (as in "Do not eat these!"), I KNOW WHERE THEY ARE!
 
Buffalo Bur flowers (See - same shaped flower, but yellow petals).
Buffalo Bur bur. It encapsulates the tomato that carries the seeds.
Here the bur bursts disclosing the dark green striped tomato.

Well, he only needs the one. He has the others.

And so I have taken on a search for Cowpen Daisy, Goldeneye, Climbing Hemp seed, and Silver-leaf Nightshade and Waterwillow. [I know where they all should be. We will see if the weather, and my luck holds.] The initial search has led me to a place near the ponds at Witter Lane where I saw the three nightshades earlier in the year. I should have taken photos, but I was focused on harvest (and avoiding the snakes that are probably still out because of our unseasonably warm weather). The place was full of drying Horse Nettle plants - with large vivid yellow fruit. I did not notice the one Buffalo Bur I saw before, but there was also a string of drying tomatoes on a dry, leafless stem. I think it is the Silverleaf.

I also continue to walk the lots where the now missing Spiderling grew. I decided to rescue a few plants. Who knows what the plans are for that place. Anything could happen. At least I know a few things are saved in pots at my place.

The rescued. Now I get to plant it all.


NOTES:

*One example is Texas Flora - https://www.facebook.com/groups/texasflora/
**http://ebird.org/content/ebird/

***https://www.inaturalist.org/

****http://www.besthealthmag.ca/best-eats/nutrition/4-myths-about-nightshade-vegetables/


Buffalo Bur - https://fireflyforest.net/firefly/2006/07/24/buffalobur-nightshade-a-very-evil-plant/

Horse Nettle - http://rangeplants.tamu.edu/plant/western-horse-nettle-treadsalve/

1 comment:

  1. Five (5) species located/seeds and plants saved/all to be boxed up and mailed north on Monday.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for coming along on the walk. Your comments are welcome.