Thursday, November 16, 2017

Oh, You Dirty Dog!

Dogs are here to remind us life really is a simple thing. 
You eat, sleep, take walks, and pee when you must. 
That's about all there is. 
They are quick to forgive trespasses 
and assume strangers will be kind. 
~Jonathan Carroll, The Marriage of Sticks


Z-girl

Zelda loves only a few things - and in this order:

     other dogs
     chasing squirrels
     DH
     children
     rolling in some hideous smell
     me
   
She rolled in something the other day when we were walking by the creek. I didn't worry too much about it. I'm lazy and, while I knew it was a "smell," I didn't smell it -- yet. I wouldn't pet her as I new it was likely something disgusting, but I also didn't take the time to bathe her. I was waiting for a warm afternoon.

Then she ripened and I could no longer sit in the same room as her.

I woke knowing that Zelda was in for a bath as soon as we finished our morning walk.

Sunrise

We were alone but for the woman with the baby carriage, 3 joggers, 2 men with dogs (a Yorkie and a Doberman), the old lady who leaves corn for the ducks, one old guy walking, one park worker, a half dozen crows, a million Mayfly-like irritants, a dragonfly, and a Great Blue Heron. I don't count the ducks and geese...they are as much "the park" as the pecan trees and the creek.

Our heron

It was a quiet day and we scoped out the Goldeneye seeds we will be saving soon. They are still too green/damp. I pulled a few flower heads, but I'm not confident in these. I like to catch them just before they fall.

The Great Blue Heron flew under the bridge as we stood in awe. I do love them and this one gave us a show.

Zelda stalked a couple of squirrels, but only got to chase one. She zoomed round and round the base of the tree and then off for a bigger loop - one of her "racing circles" before coming back to me.

This little squirrel was asking for attention.

Then she got back in my car - all of her glorious stinky self.

The bath was colder than either of us would have liked. I'm sure it will have to be repeated soon. Zelda was not happy, but stood as I shampooed her in full view of the neighborhood...the indignity of it all. I received more than one sad look and shared shampoo and rinse as she shook off before I could grab the towel.

Her bedding is in the wash and she isn't too sure about the blankets we are using temporarily, but she dug in and settled.

Dandelion



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for coming along on the walk. Your comments are welcome.