Friday, August 3, 2018

Two Trips to the Crossing

In spirituals, 
the talk of heaven and deliverance 
was a code for a better life. 
‘Crossing the River Jordan’ was code, 
of course, 
for escaping to freedom. 
~Kathleen Battle

On my way to classes last month I detoured along the causeway at Mankins Crossing to see what might be taking refuge here -- as the drought continues to dry up so many ponds and tanks. The water is low here too. Green scum covers much of the slow flowing water. Snags attract the herons and egrets. A few ducks are here, but not the Muscovy ducks that had haunted the place for months.

A few passes (one must keep the causeway clear and move if a vehicle comes) - a few birds - and it was time to head along.

July 24, 2018. No rain for a while now. Pretty nasty looking water at the crossing...but the birds!
Great Egret on the snag.
Cattle Egret - first time I've seen one of these here. The tan markings gave him away.
Snowy Egret
The last time I got a photo of a Snowy here there was some drama about ID. I made sure the sun cooperated this time.
I saw these, snagged a photo, and had to drive on. When I came back I was able to grab the binoculars. I knew them immediately - Black-bellied Whistling (Tree) Ducks. I LOVE these crazy ducks, but was surprised to see them here, I guess. I should have known them at first sight.

The next day I stopped again. No birds. Seriously - NO BIRDS!

What was going on? There were a couple of squirrels on the bank, but...oh. There was my answer. A man was wading in the shallow water and using a metal detector. He had frightened all the birds and I could just see them in the distance.

Fox Squirrel
The other squirrel.
The "squirrel" with the metal detector. Looks like he found something.
Not sure he wanted his photo taken. This place is posted. I'm not sure anyone is supposed to be wading here.

I'll be making another trip down in a few days and I hope the guy is gone and birds free to roam close enough to see them.







n spirituals, the talk of heaven and deliverance was code for a better life. 'Crossing the River Jordan' was code, of course, for escaping to freedom.
Read more at: https://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/kathleen_battle_505247?src=t_crossing
In spirituals, the talk of heaven and deliverance was code for a better life. 'Crossing the River Jordan' was code, of course, for escaping to freedom. Kathleen Battle
Read more at: https://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/kathleen_battle_505247?src=t_crossing
In spirituals, the talk of heaven and deliverance was code for a better life. 'Crossing the River Jordan' was code, of course, for escaping to freedom. Kathleen Battle
Read more at: https://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/kathleen_battle_505247?src=t_crossing

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for coming along on the walk. Your comments are welcome.