Sunday, August 26, 2018

The Shadow of the Hawk

You missed the shadow 
of the hawk on the vole 
if you think how wonderfully free a vole is!

~ Mehmet Murat ildan


For most of this summer birds have taken refuge at the three downtown parks here. The city has developed sidewalks along the creek joining these three - Harris Community Park, Yettie Polk Park, and Confederate Park - about a mile of gentle ups and downs for walkers and a number of good fishing spots in the creek for herons, egrets, and ducks.

All summer we have taken refuge here as well. It is cooler in the early morning among the native pecans shading the parks.

In addition to the common birds (none seem all too common to me) - the crows, grackles, sparrows, pigeons, and mocking birds there have also been Cliff Swallows, Mississippi Kites, Red-shouldered Hawks, a Snowy Egret, Black-bellied Whistling Ducks (and all kinds of domestic ducks) and the herons - Great Blue Heron, Green Heron, and Yellow-crowned Night-heron.

The hawks have all been juveniles and spent entirely too much time on the ground. They also flew low over our heads so we would feel their shadows cross over us in the early morning light. They called to each other and flew from tree to tree.

Then there are the cats and squirrels and others frequenting our park - we cannot forget them. So here
are photos from the last couple of walks* that I've shared many other places, but not posted here until now.**

I. The Hawk

This tree was well across the park, but the camera did catch enough so that we knew it was one of the hawks
Then he flew closer.
Look at those eyes!

II. Yellow-crowned Night-heron

There is a spot where the water pools that the herons fight over. We usually see only a couple of these birds.
It was still pretty dark as I attempted to get a better photo (with more "detail").
When we saw this bird fly we weren't sure what it was, but now we know it is a juvenile.  The beak gave it away as did the white cheek stripe starting to form.

III.  Green Heron

These little guys look like dark grey blobs from a distance. We know them by their shape - that long bill pointing out.
But when you get close you can see the rust and green and yellow.
They really are green.

IV. Great Blue Heron

The Great Blue is hard to ignore. We have watched it fish multiple times and this week we saw yet another "feeding."
We noticed it was messing around with something in the water.
Then it flipped up this fish. I was frustrated by the movement - couldn't get a clear shot.
It dropped the fish and picked it up multiple times.
Shaking the fish.
It finally got a good grip.
Seriously.
They don't chew. The fish was swallowed whole.
We watched the "swallow" as the fish slowly moved down the long neck.
V. Snowy Egret - This little egret is in the creek on most days. It is almost constantly moving. I rarely get any chance at a clear shot, but I keep trying. For most purposes I just want a view of the beak and feet. And I can do that now. Still a "good" shot eludes me.

Black beak, yellow foot.
Fish
Okay. This one is almost good.

VI. Mississippi Kite - I never noticed these bird until I saw a pair in our neighborhood park. Then I saw them everywhere!

This perch is popular with crows, but today it was the kite. A few days ago there were three Mississippi Kites perched here. That was a surprise.
VII. Black-bellied Whistling (Tree) Ducks - You often hear them before you see them. They whistle and chatter...really make a racket. The first time I remember seeing them was on the Frio. There were over 20 of them sleeping in the trees along the river at night and then hanging out in a pond during the day. I took loads of photos, sneaking up on them to catch their vivid beak and feet (I call it pink). They are goofing looking (especially in flight) and sounding and I love them. I was shocked one morning to see about 5 fly off to the west. Since then we have found them in the creek on three different mornings - usually around 20 or so feeding in the dim morning light.

I know "they" dropped the "tree" from the name because all whistling ducks don't hang out in trees, but these do.

They are easily identified by their silhouette.
In this shot you can see the black bellies and the lighter head.

VII. Park Cats:

Many cats call this park home. The family of black cats (and one white kitten) shows up most days. A few others were here in the last week too.

The kittens have not been named.
A close-up of the mother.
Hanging out on the bridge.
One of the kittens is a little braver than the others.
This one we call "the church cat." It's a big kitty and usually around the grounds of the AME churxch.
The Boyfriend
Zelda thought it was Hobbes and did not want to move down the trail.

VIII. Fox Squirrel:

Once I saw the cat lady place corn in this fork I knew I could cheat and "set up" the squirrels for photos.


NOTES:

* I need to put them somewhere so I can delete from the laptop memory.

**I am adjusting to the new camera so some are better. I am hoping they will continue to improve.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for coming along on the walk. Your comments are welcome.