Thursday, April 20, 2017

The Secret Dewberry Patch

....Feed him with apricoks and dewberries,
With purple grapes, green figs, and mulberries....
 
Titania to the four fairies in A Midsummer Night's Dream


I'll never tell where.

But I was there today.

The sun was high overhead.

It's an old homestead and the brambles curl around the crumbling foundation.

Grapevines climb into the smaller trees. Grapes will come later.

Bees and butterflies, grasshoppers and mosquitoes joined us as we leaned down to pick the ripened fruit.

Down the road a little way I found milkweed, butterfly weed, speargrass,  and firewheels, but the bluebonnets were almost bloomed out.

I did not trip and fall into traffic.
 
I saw no snakes.

My neighbor read about my big dewberry harvest today (8 berries) and invited me to a secret spot.
Will be able to harvest more tomorrow and the day after.
My neighbor is forager. I asked if she needed some fresh prickly pear.
And, if not now, perhaps when it sets its fruit. (I'll be back for photos of these blooms.
It was easy enough to pick what I need for some cobbler. I don't can fruit anymore...except a fig or two.
Wild grapes will be next.
I saw the bull nettle before I fell into/brushed against it.
Little oaks coming up.
Bluebonnets almost bloomed out. It might be a good spot to gather some seed.
Did I mention it was midday? And hot.
What's that, you say? Blue-eyed grass.
How many wildflowers did my mother teach me about?
A butterfly plant of some kind or other. At some point I need to pull out my books.
I believe this is a wild petunia or cousin.
The brownish swath is ripe speargrass. It was lovely waving in the breeze.
Antelope Horns
Milkweed blossom with honeybees no Monarchs.
The second milkweed plant was about 10 feet away from the first


I suspect it is time to get some pie crust and find Mother's dewberry cobbler recipe. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for coming along on the walk. Your comments are welcome.