Sunday, April 16, 2017

Milkweeds in the Meadow

 
I still try to keep my eyes open.
I'm always on the lookout for antlion traps in sandy soil, 
monarch pupae near milkweed, 
skipper larvae in locust leaves. 
These things are utterly common, 
and I've not seen one.

~ Annie Dillard

Honeybee and Cobalt Milkweed Beetle
Antelope Horns and a Large Milkweed Bug
Green Milkweed. It is similar to Antelope Horns, but the leaves are broader and the flowers less regular. They do look like "cousins."
I asked DH if we could forgo the usual egg hunt and go on a milkweed hunt instead. We love this wild place and have seen milkweed at many stages of growth in the meadow nearest the gate. We have seen Antelope Horns Milkweed growing near the dam and thought we should see how many plants we could find and report to a couple of projects we have joined.

We were not disappointed.

The meadow has exploded in greens and colorful wildflowers. The bluebonnets are starting to go to seed. The "usual suspects," wild verbena, Indian Paintbrushes, Asters, Dandelions,  Texas Star, and Gaura, were present. And nameless others filled the spaces.

We turned past the first brush line and immediately spied our first milkweed. It (and 8 more plants), Antelope Horns, were discovered along, or just off of the trail. On our way back up the path we found one Green Milkweed plant. [When referring to "milkweed" herein I mean "Antelope Horns" unless I specify otherwise.]

Most of the milkweed and many of the other flowers were hosts for a variety of insects. Large grasshoppers jumped and flew as we neared. Butterflies flitted across the meadow.

The meadow was alive and lovely. And we crossed it twice before the sun came out and gave chase.

We were backing out of the drive when I spied a milkweed in the bar ditch.  Two plants were blooming just feet from the gate.

Across the road I could see another milkweed so we drove across and I counted another three Antelope Horns plants.*

Except for a slight breeze, it was a perfect day to hike and photograph the wildflowers.

Here are some of our finds.**

The meadow (sometimes we wishfully call it a prairie, though it is long past being one) is overgrown.
Our first Antelope Horns plant was followed by 12 or 13 more.
I caught this Honeybee "suspended" in midair. The wings beat so quickly they disappear.
I love these flowers - here one has yet to open.
Texas Star
The dry skeletons of the Montezuma Sunflowers and Eryngos detract.
Yucca

The plants were from few blooms to 12.
No flower open on this one.
Soon to open thistle covered in "true bugs."
Detail of the bugs
A reminder of how mistreated this area is.
DH glanced over and saw the Indian Paintbrush and commented on it.
Small Bluestem (?)
Bumble Bee
(Detail)
Gaura
I should know these.
Some of the last of the bluebonnets.
And what is this hairy bloom?
DH breaking his own trail a bit.
It is hard not to love the mix of flowers.
A wonderful beetle.
(Detail)
Wasp
Wasp - multiple photos
I say Paper wasp today - will be looking it up.
Perhaps not a native, but lovely.
A pop of red signals
Ladybug
It was a beetle kind of day (on a Texas Dandelion).
And another beetle (this time on Evening Primrose).
This looks more like a prairie
One of the larger milkweed plants

Do not know these bugs
Ant
Lots of Honeybees here
Another large plant
Bees and Large Milkweed Bug

Texas Star and seeds
A track as big as my fist. I think DOG. I hope dog.

Green Milkweed
Enlarged (same as the beginning of this post, but whatever)
Closed Green Milkweed flower
Gaura and Antelope Horns
Prickly Pear


NOTES:

*And on the drive home I saw multiple plants growing in the ditch (on the west side of the county road) for about a mile.

** We will report as much as we can, but I am awaiting some guidance on how to make my official report on the milkweed. It is good to have folks available to answer such questions (4 observations or 15?).

FINAL NOTE: 

Today my friend let me know, "That vine, you said was milkweed, is blooming if you want to come and see it."

I could not get there fast enough. Yes, it was blooming. It is indeed blooming and it is indeed milkweed. Pearl Milkweed is a vine with tiny blooms. It likes tree lines. It likes shade/dappled sun. From what I have read, the Monarchs are not interested in Pearl Milkweed, but there are other creatures that love it.

I have never seen it in Bell County before. My other observations have been in Uvalde County (Just checked the maps - over 200 miles away). I am sure there are other vines around here, I just haven't seen them. [Now the count is 3 species of milkweed in 2 days!]






No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for coming along on the walk. Your comments are welcome.