Sunday, April 2, 2017

All Moving Slowly This Rainy Morning


By perseverance the snail reached the ark.
 ~ Charles Spurgeon


My erratic steps through the backyard yesterday disclosed quite a few snails living in the wild weeds. I paid no attention in my haste to finish the mowing before the rains came.* I wonder how the ragged remains of the weeds will react to today's rain. We are in the middle of the larger/louder/more hazardous storm as I type.

A small little thunderstorm woke me a few hours ago. Zelda and I headed outside to walk between the waves of rain. Cool and fresh air, some morning birdsong, and showers from the saturated leaves above us made for a lovely walk. We took our time - walked at "a snail's pace."

And everywhere we saw that we were not alone. Few cars were on the streets, but the snails moved slowly up dead plant stalks, along the curb, and through the shredded vegetation.

Snails destroy the garden and will have to go,** but for now will be allowed to wander undisturbed.

Raindrops on the privet.
This is a 5 center - on its way to eat my daylily.
The hunt for a photo or two discloses loads of yard work ahead of me.
Proof these guys can go anywhere...a couple of snails shimmy up dead stems.
On the driveway
OK. I know I have some work to do in the garden...but check out the snails dining!

NOTES:

*And before the city citation for "high grass and weeds."
**I once paid children to gather them up - 2 cents for small snails and 5 cents for big snails. Then my brother shared the name of a safe treatment for the garden. "Sluggo" works like a charm...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for coming along on the walk. Your comments are welcome.