Friday, January 2, 2015

Into the cold mist


We have been house-bound for days. A cold rain has been falling - preventing escape to the park or woods. Finally, this morning there was a break in the drizzle. TDW sent a text - he and his pups would be walking. I grabbed my "waterproof' shoes,* bundled up, grabbed a couple of dogs, and headed for the creek.

TDW's car was already parked on the east side of the wildlife area as we drove up. We unloaded, stepped over the feathers in the parking lot. Some hunter field-dressed his doves and left his trash. It is such a disappointment to see how people abuse these wildlife areas (They target shoot - against the rules. They use weapons that are not allowed. They leave their trash everywhere).

We did not see our friends at first, but headed to the creek their usual destination. The sky was grey and a gentile mist fell. Here and there the water collected in leaves and on spiderwebs. It dripped from the  trees. And the lichens stood out as the "wildflowers" of the winter. I suppose the damp so darkened the wood and the ground and the grasses that the fresh greens and greys and yellows of the lichens jumped out at me.

We met up with our friends near the creek. The water was up - there would be no hunting fossils there (but maybe on the other side). The people walked and talked. The dogs ran wild - really.

At one point I was leaning over for a photo and Paddy came rushing down the path. She miscalculated  and whacked me in the head. Fortunately I was wearing a couple of knit hats - so I was cushioned - a little.

Then we decided to see what happening on the other side of the park. We knew there was potential for an impassable creek, but took the chance. Sure enough, the crossing was still open.

We crossed the creek and wandered a bit, but we were all getting too wet (and all the puppies behaving badly). By the time I got home I was "chilled to the bone."  My pants were wet to the knees and muddy beyond my ankles. I had muddy dog prints on my jacket. But my feet were still dry. I guess those boots really do work.

Water gathers in the"cups" of bluebonnet leaves.
Scruff and Paddy come running. I guess I wasn't walking fast enough. Paddy blends into the rust-colored grass.
Lots of thorny things out here. These were striking against the sky.
So many trees and limbs are down after the drought. The lichen are taking over here.
A close-up of these beauties.

In some places the "drips" shined like diamonds.

While not "flowing," the creek is up leaving no rock edges for us to walk.
Ruffled lichen
Odd little circular lichen below these ruffles.
Water beading on these wildflowers-to-be
Yellow flowered lichen
Trying to catch photos of "the drips" and discovered Hugo in the background.
Change focus and you can see that handsome fellow.
Dogs come running when they realize TDW has treats.
Thick spider webs hold the rain.

More lichen
I guess I never noticed that hunters were shooting cactus...don't get me started.
More lichen
And a little more
I am hoping these rains will guarantee a great spring show of wildflowers.
More wildflower leaves gathering rain (note the bluebonnet peeking out from underneath.
The last batch of lichen - I promise. I spied this fallen tree - glowing with the yellow lichen and "hairy" with green lichen.


The grass was so wet that the dogs were drenched (as were my jeans). From a distance you don't see the beads of water.










The nettle also manages to capture the drops.

I love the look of these trees "rooted in the sky"
More trees
And a few more.
Another spiderweb full of water (I think we miss these on most walks)
A closeup of the web. It is still had to see but for the drops of water.
Paddy comes running - time to go to the other side of the park.
I love the soaring of the vultures.
One last web - see it?
Here we go.

And on the other side of the park...


This clover (no not shamrocks) took me back to that cool, misty country of my ancestors.

The creek on the other side. We were still able to cross.
TDW spied this area of fossils in the creek bed.
TDW and Hugo go first**
Another fossil



* I purchased these for a winter trip. They allegedly are "slip-proof."
**On my last trip across Hugo was walking above on the concrete. He stopped and watched me.  I was talking to him while moving along and, when I got up to him, he leaned over and gave me a big wet dog kiss. Then he ran off like a little boy. Hugo is a very sweet-hearted dog.



2 comments:

  1. Love the pictures, especially the bluebonnets and blooming lichen! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope to be catching the bluebonnet bloom. They should be wonderful this year. And it is only a few weeks away.

      Delete

Thanks for coming along on the walk. Your comments are welcome.