Saturday, January 17, 2015

Finally, a bright sunshiny day!

Friday afternoon at the park was essential this week. We were all in need of a run/brisk walk/adventure. And we got it.

But first we had to get out the boots - boots covered in dried mud from last weekend's walks. Some of the grids of dry mud that fell off the waffle soles were rather beautiful - they made me think I should perhaps try to fire them in a kiln later. The rest of it was just a mess. I swept up what I could and will run the vacuum tomorrow.

We walked into the park and "released the krakens."*

This was a mistake. We usually walk a good fifty yards into the park before we let them off-leash, but were just lazy today. The dogs immediately hugged the fence line running a good 150 yards heeding none of our calling and promises of cookies.

Finally they came back.

And this was the way of the rest of the walk. The dogs did what they wanted to do. The people talked and kept an eye open for dogs straying too far.

The creek was still high. We wandered the banks and found lots of interesting things. I got too close to the edge and discovered the actual height of my boots - one foot stayed dry while the other got more than wet. [I plan to use that little rice trick to dry out the boot.]

The sun was almost too bright. But the colors were back...blue, green, tan, and (sadly) red...

And loading up the cars to head home was a trip. Hugo decided to come home with us. He got in the car with Paddy and Scruff and would not come out. Finally TDW had to go in and "remove" him. I don't think we are ready for a dog sleep over.


The sun was almost too bright on the prairie.

One of the few remaining liatris** plants standing It is lovely in the sunshine.

 OK. Bear with me on this next series. This was DH calling the dogs. They had "taken off" and we couldn't even see them.

DH on the left. Where were our dogs?

Then we saw them in the distance.

They came flying back.

Paddy, in the lead, rushed past.
The end of the first race.

We always see cardinals at the edges of the woods. Flashes of red distract us as we walk to the creek. Well, last week we saw hawks in the area. We knew they were hunting. And today we found red feathers on the trail.
One cardinal will not see spring.

Bright red feathers on the path.

Twin trunked tree near the creek.
Green water, blue sky.
These rocks are part of the creek bed.
Like the surface of Mars
One path up the creek bank through two old posts from a barbed wire fence along the creek.
Creek.
Ripples and flashes of sunlight.

Here's another series: Paddy was NOT supposed to be across the creek. At least she came when called.

OK. I'm coming.
But it looks so cold!
It IS cold. Did you say "cookies"?
Driftwood
This brown-eyed boy often stays close to me...unless he is out running with that wild Paddy or on an adventure with Hugo.

I guess Paddy thought it was a game. She was across the creek again. We called her. She waded back.


Paddy starts back from the other side of the creek. She is finding a path on the left.
I am coming.
Really cold water today.
Don't leave me!
This photo almost captures the joy these two old dogs find in "running" the park.
My walking partners...
Part of an old fence along the creek.
A plane the the amazing cloud formations today. [Small planes were doing "tough and goes."]
Ruby was on the hunt for field mice.
More drift wood.
You see the fossil, no?
There it is - by the rock in the middle of the photo.
Ruby found a deep spot where she could swim.
Conglomeration of fossils.
I spied this one from a distance.
It is big. That is my size 9 next to it.
DH but a pile of driftwood.
A rusty can lodged in among the rocks at the edge of the creek.

Close-up of the can.
I am still not sure what this is. It looked like plants, but not. I wondered and tried to get closer to examine it and ended up wet - very wet. So it must wait until a dryer visit.
Another piece of driftwood.
Yes, I like these new boots. No, I am not showing off the wet cuff of my pants or the boots. I am showing how large this group of bluebonnet plants has already gotten with the recent rains. Spring is going to be beautiful.

Here is a closeup of the bluebonnets.

I saw this fuzz and thought it was from a milkweed seed pod.
Not too far away was a mass of the seeds. I am pretty sure it is one of the milkweed varieties in this area.


NOTES:

*https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gb2zIR2rvRQ
** http://www.wildflower.org/plants/result.php?id_plant=LISP

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for coming along on the walk. Your comments are welcome.