Sunday, January 11, 2015

Back wallowing in the mud...


Rain is grace; rain is the sky descending to the earth; without rain, there would be no life. 
~ John Updike

We received an oddly timed text message that our friends would be walking just before lunch. Since most of the family is running a race today, the dogs and I decided a walk was just what we needed.

It had rained most of the night. Most of the rain we have received over the past few weeks has been more of a heavy mist. Last night it was rain. Really - RAIN. It has already been muddy at the wildlife areas so I knew this be more bog than anything.

Have I mentioned how long it takes to get the animals (and people) ready for a walk? Depending on the time of year/weather and location of the walk, we must gather leashes, dog biscuits, hundetoilette bags, keys, id, money, cell phone, and then all the appropriate clothing. Today it was waterproof boots, silk long johns, many-pocketed pants, thermal shirt, fleece shirt (God bless my sister-in-law. She gave me this fleece shirt years ago. It is bright red. I always feel chipper in it and know any hunters will see me.) and a knit cap.

Our friends said they couldn't walk long so it was a sprint to get ready in into the car and down the road for the 15 minute drive to the park. I have to admit I ran a very cold yellow light (but I made it) and then slowed down. The point of a walk is to relax, not be one of those stressed-out white-knuckled drivers on the way.
The dogs and I took a different path - one way too close to the fence bordering the highway. I quickly realized my mistake and cut back into the park. Then I heard TDW calling. Suddenly Ruby was there, then Stanley, then Hugo. They are such amazing animals.
We went to the creek even though we knew it would be flooded. The water was as high as I have seen it in recent years, but we still could walk the bank.
TDW is a good friend. He worked with his photo equipment and tried to ignore my ignorant experiments with the camera. He is the one who talked me into it and patiently set it to automatic (I have never had an eye for focus and I have been spoiled by what I call "idiot cameras.").  He did comment that my shutter speed was too slow for a shot of some raindrops (He WAS right, but I somehow got something I could use). He is very artistic. I am a "close enough" kind of girl. I suspect I have only taken one "art" photo. I am proud of it. Everything else simply tells a story. That is what I want to do. 

So, the dogs got to run, the people got to talk and walk and take pictures.

And even though it was a short walk, I suspect everyone went home happy.
I saw this from a distance. At first I thought it was trash.
Then it became clear it was some kind of insect cocoon. I will share with my bug friends for identification.
This, I knew, but it surprised me. I have not seen these plants on this prairie.
I am pretty sure this is a milkweed pod.
Lovely green moss or lichen on a trunk.
Ruby in the creek. See - the rock ledge is underwater.
Even with no rain, the day was overcast. It was still grey on grey with only a few bits of color.
TDW with Ruby and maybe Stanley in the distance.
My kids. I think they saw me put the lens cap in my pocket. As far as they are concerned pockets are for cookies.
On the bank of the creek I saw this fossil.
Then I saw this one that looks like a plant.
Then I saw this bright white "devil's toenail" on the dark rocks of the creek.
Tree reflected in the water.
Hugo stayed close to me during much of the walk.
Lichen
Abandoned nest far up in a tree.*
A little closer view.
Cedars dot the prairie.
The trees still dripped.
Happy Scruffy.
I don't know if he was shaking his head or catching a scent.
One of the many paths - grass stamped down.
Paddy on the path.
Rain drips from the cedar.
Fires are not allowed at the wildlife area. We found the remains of one.
Another nest.
Prickly pear - these pears still fresh and ripe.
Cedar
The color is beautiful when everything else is grey.
Another view of cedar.


NOTES:

*I do try not to repeat vies of the same things over and over. I would not be surprised if I took a different view of something and didn't realize it. So, forgive any unintended repeats.














No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for coming along on the walk. Your comments are welcome.