Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Do you know where your school bus is?

It was cold enough to fog our breath today. And even colder when we got to the park.

We were late and there were so many cars zipping by - really too many to count.

And as we reached the dear sweet child's house (the one who used to greet us - "Hi!"- disembodied voice coming out of the darkness) the street glowed red from the school bus, lit up like Christmas. I doubt if another red light would fit on the vehicle. I checked my watch to see that this child was heading off to school at 6:20 a.m. Are you kidding me? I cannot imagine getting my kids up, fed, dressed and on a bus by 6:20.

Escalade man, banana man and someone else (I never got close enough to know who it was, but I have seen the car before) were well into their routines. We decided to walk further than we had planned and turned around after we heard a school bus behind us. A school bus in the park? at 6:30?

I thought it might be the cross-country team and kept looking behind me at the parking lot where the bus stopped. But I never saw any students.

I shrugged off my questions and hurried home as the sky grew light and birds began to sing.

And just as I was leaving the backyard headed towards the house I heard DH getting in the car. I was late, but I wasn't THAT late. I walked over to the driver's side window and shrugged, "What's up?"

"You were gone too long" he said. Ah. He was on his way to check on me. Of course, he almost missed me entirely as I was in the back with the dogs as he left the house.

This has happened before. That other time he was already driving as I cut through the front yard and was hidden by the hedge when he drove by. That other time he drove all the way to the park and back.

What a dear! But I think I must remind my DH/DL (Dear Luddite) that he can always call my cell.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for coming along on the walk. Your comments are welcome.