Monday, May 7, 2018

Ohio

In the morning I awoke early 
and experienced that sinking sensation that overcomes you 
when you first open your eyes and realize that instead of a normal day ahead of you, 
with its scatterings of simple gratifications, 
you are going to have a day without even the tiniest of pleasures; 
you are going to drive across Ohio.

~ Bill Bryson, The Lost Continent: Travels in Small Town America

Okay, I was looking ahead for "Ohio quotes" and found the above. This does not bode well for the week. We are not merely traveling across Ohio, we are hanging out in central and south-central Ohio.

Have we ever visited here? I almost said, "No," but that would be lying. I was here for a documentary shoot with OC in 2005 or 2006. We were in Mansfield and Berlin. It was a good trip except that OC came down with a wretched cold. She toughed it out and we got the interviews and video we needed. Ohio was beautiful in the winter, in spite of the ice that put each of us down on the ground at least once.

I always thought I would return, but on this trip we will skip that part of the state in lieu of visiting the early Native American earthworks near Chillicothe. We also expect to hike in a few state parks (and maybe hit a surplus store or two).

I start this trip recovering from a cold myself (surely this virus is almost done with me!). More than a few years older than on the last trip, I hope I will be able to cover some distance here - at my pokey rate. [I was masked in the airplane for the safety of the other passengers AND to try and avoid another virus.]

We are here for the wildlife too - 15 frogs* and 24 salamanders (we never see salamanders) according to iNaturalist - and birds (and maybe bears).** I generally zone out with wildflowers and insects (and birds I know already). Ohio has orchids and other wildflowers that are supposed to be blooming.

So...our plans mostly are to escape a little while and heed Mr. Muir: 

Keep close to Nature's heart... 
and break clear away, 
once in a while, 
and climb a mountain 
or spend a week in the woods. 
Wash your spirit clean.
- John Muir 


We made it. It's...well, it's Ohio. The people are nice - salt of the earth. Life seems hard here. More to follow. This photo reminded me of OC...

NOTES:

*I went hunting for frog calls and found the Ohio Amphibian Monitoring site - http://www.ohioamphibians.com/frogs/callsurvey/index.html#safety_concerns [Woohoo!]

**Yes, there are snakes. Yes, some are poisonous. So unlike some places we visit, we will have to pay attention. The Timber Rattler and the Copperhead could be in the weeds and woods. I think we will stay on the trails.


Keep close to Nature's heart... and break clear away, once in awhile, and climb a mountain or spend a week in the woods. Wash your spirit clean. John Muir
Read more at: https://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/john_muir_393393
Keep close to Nature's heart... and break clear away, once in awhile, and climb a mountain or spend a week in the woods. Wash your spirit clean. John Muir
Read more at: https://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/john_muir_393393

2 comments:

  1. The Copperheads are best when hiding midst the leaves of Autumn. I almost stepped right on one and before I landed my screaming vertical leap, it was nearly 20 feet and headed west.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I forgot about the snakes the few times we wandered "off trail." I only ended up with ticks...and that was not fun. We never saw a frog, but heard them three times. I suspect it was a case of wrong place - wrong time.

      Delete

Thanks for coming along on the walk. Your comments are welcome.