Friday, May 12, 2017

Froggie (Toadie) Went a Courtin'

The music of all creatures has to do with their loves, 
even of toads and frogs. 
Is it not the same with man?
~ Henry David Thoreau


We returned one night to find Gulf Coast toads calling all around us. Two were on the porch and I thought they were catching insects that had been attracted by the porch light. Silly me.

I returned to the porch after dropping my purse in the house and found what appeared to be an attempt at reproduction.

Warning: You cannot unsee this.

I found it fascinating, especially as I though GCT mated in water. Whatever, I tiptoed back into the house and left the toads alone.

But we listened to to frogs and toads calling through the night. It is that time of year. It's been a wet spring. [And there is an "abandoned pool" in the neighborhood. 


One Gulf Coast Toad
Two Gulf Coast Toads

Wait a minute!
In flagrante delicto

For more information on Toad Reproduction: http://amphibiaweb.org/species/6058



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for coming along on the walk. Your comments are welcome.