Sunday, May 14, 2017

Asclepias Absurdity (More Milkweed Madness) and Other Stuff

They are wildflowers. 
They would not want a name.

~ Silas House & Neela Vaswani, Same Sun Here

Meadow Pink*

One last field trip for this group - I had to go.

I made this trip in December of last year and, exhausted for some reason, I slept during much of the bus ride. So I hadn't a clue where I was when we unloaded and viewed some of the amazing things at Granger Lake and other spots in Williamson County.

I stayed awake this time (although I am fading fast as I type). 
  
The goal of the trip was to experience some of the different ecosystems we have not seen yet. This is a special place, Williamson County. There is a tiny slice of Post Oak Prairie, Tall Grass Prairie, and a couple of spots where there have been experiments to try and return land back to Blackland Prairie.**

The group headed out into the prairie. Because my last experience there was less than optimum*** I searched the bar ditch and the fence line. While locating milkweed (asclepias) was the object of my wandering, I tried to find and identify as many wildflowers as I could. It may well be that we make a survey of this area in different seasons so the more information I have, the better.

Let's start with the milkweed:

Yes, there was milkweed. I found three green milkweed plants in this stretch of ground. More importantly I found something I knew had to be a milkweed, but that looked just different enough to know it was new to me. It is Asclepias viridifloraGreen Comet Milkweed or "Wand Milkweed." I don't know if it is common or not. 

"Woohoo!" [Forgive me as I celebrate another variety of milkweed. It is my 4th so far.]
There were many - perhaps 10 to 15 - plants along the roadway and at the fence line. I wonder if there is more in the prairie proper.
I see why it is called "wand milkweed."
We will have to wait to see the flowers to understand the "rocket" reference I suppose.


We may return next week to observe the blooms.
Okay. Last one of the new milkweed.
Green Milkweed
It is a little "loose" and relaxed. Green Milkweed is supposed to be the most common in the state.

Everything else - Wildflowers or not, I try to give them names (some small bit of structure):

I guess it's appropriate to share wildflowers today, Mother's Day. My mother shared with us a love of wildflowers. She knew what most of them were and looked up the ones she didn't know. Even now pressed examples fall out of her wildflower books and I can see her notes of where and when she observed this flower or that. She grew some in her garden. When we were children in scouts, Mom would go to the fields the day before taking the troop out to insure she could identify the blooms.

Goal for tomorrow - look up all the wildflowers I have seen so far this spring that remain unidentified. [Flax (Linum rigidum)].
Rose Gentian (Meadow Pink) - Yeah, this photo begins the post, but isn't it pretty?
Black-eyed Susan
Not happy with any of my photos of the Black-eyed Susans.
Texas Thistle with a native bee (not sure which).
Silver-leaf Nightshade
Golden Eye
Not sure about this butterfly.
Coneflower (Upright Prairie Coneflower)
Texas Prairie Parsley (I checked plant after plant for caterpillars and did not find any).
Horsemint
Evening Primrose (Pink Lady)
Gaillardia (Indian Blankets) and Texas Bull Nettle
Bull Nettle seed pods?
Texas Star (Lindheimera texana) - I've been gathering seeds and will try to grow these.
Dakota Mock Vervain (Wild Verbena)
Every bit of the nightshade is poisonous...don't eat it.
None too pretty a bloom (small yellow tomatoes will follow, just a poisonous as the rest).
Buffalo Gourd
I'm not sure I have seen the entire plant - vine, blooms, and gourd all together.
The Buffalo Gourd
Indian Paintbrush
More horsemint
Bee Balm
Attempted Prairie
So many things are gathered at the fence line. [Wildflowers, grasses, and demons (Johnson Weed)]
More wild field of grash and flowers.
A long road between the prairie and the dam.
Naturalists touring the prairie.
Indian Blankets edge the prairie.
Remains of the Post Oak Savannah near Lawrence Chapel.
Another view of the Post Oak Savannah.
Heelers joined us for a walk through the tall grass.
Black-eyed Susan and Meadow Pinks.
More Meadow Pinks
The egret rookery in the city park in Taylor.

NOTES:

*Rose Gentian (Sabatia campestris)

**The worked field is not quite right, but the adjoining field is working out quite well.

***Broke glasses, lost lens cap to the camera.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for coming along on the walk. Your comments are welcome.