Wednesday, March 15, 2017

A Dog Tale (Tail?)


Have both dogs on-leash. 
Take the dogs for a walk together, 
keeping 10 feet between them 
so that they cannot greet one another 
or stare. 
The idea is 
simply to acclimate them to each other's presence 
without causing tension. 
Next, have the dogs meet 
with leashes dragging 
on neutral territory.

~Animal Humane Society [How to introduce dogs]

We tried it. We walked the girls (Zelda and Scout) around the neighborhood. They walked into the backyard and raced round and round.

Zelda loves to run around in circles (my dog - so proud).

Scout is a herder. She loves to herd and protect her family.

It was exciting. There were moments of bared teeth.

Then there was a tense "peace."

Why did you come?
Wary...

"Who is sneaking up on me?"
"It is just me, Scouty."
"Come on, let's play!"
"I'm not doing anything. She's doing it."
"I don't think I am having fun."
Go to your corners.
"I love this back porch."
"Please take her home!"
Back at the hotel - dog tired.

The second day was much better. The girls will need more time together in different places to adjust. Trust takes time...













1 comment:

  1. Your comments from the dogs is hysterical. Their faces in these pictures, priceless. I do so love my family. We are blessed, human and canine and feline. Blessed. <3

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for coming along on the walk. Your comments are welcome.