Thursday, September 10, 2015

A Humbling Journey

Piper for the Dallas Fire and Rescue.

 "Will you come with me?" asked my friend.

We were coworkers. She would occasionally keep me company on the weekends when I was working in the clay. We have learned a great deal about each other over the past few years.

I know that she owns and loves horses. She lost her son in an automobile accident years ago. And she and her husband were both in law enforcement. Then, almost a year and a half ago, her husband was killed while on a call.

So, two days ago she called to tell me the state was going to honor her husband* and she wanted me to come along. "Of course I will go," I said.

We were up early** and headed south. She drove. I navigated and we arrived early - as had many others uniformed and not.

It is an impressive place our capitol. We entered, passed through security (new since I worked there) and headed upstairs to the House Chamber. We were seated on the floor of the chamber and were quickly surrounded by the families and friends of first responders - killed or seriously injured in the line of duty.

It was an impressive ceremony. The governor greeted each family member. While I was only there to support my friend, she insisted I walk with her. The governor greeted me too and thanked me.

As we exited the building we saw a lone piper preparing to honor those from Dallas Fire and Rescue. We waited, listened, and went home.

The granite of the building is a lovely pink. And we proudly share that it is taller than the U.S. Capitol Building.
From our seats in the chamber.
The floor mosaic under the dome.
It is a beautiful place.
The program.

We left out the back of the building where we found the piper waiting.
Dallas Fire and Rescue.
 NOTES:

* http://gov.texas.gov/news/press-release/21399

** We met at the McDonald's. I wonder how many folks meet at this McDonald's on the highway. I almost got in the wrong pickup truck (all trucks look the same in the dark).

POSTSCRIPT: 

It took some time to complete this post. Some posts wait until the words come. They never really came for this one, but I have posted it "as is."

I can close this one with the result of the trial. Originally scheduled for January, we finally saw the jury in June, 2016. It was a long and painful week for everyone. The verdict was "guilty of capital murder" followed by an inability to agree on a sentence. This meant the judge would deliver a sentence of "life without possibility of parole." And, once again, we went home.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for coming along on the walk. Your comments are welcome.