Sunday, November 24, 2013

It was a cold and rainy night.

The dogs were going wild tonight. They barked as if preparing to repel an invasion. They barked madly - first on one side of the yard, then on the other.

DH and I jumped up (we were waiting to bring them inside - it will be a long long night - they need as much time outside as possible - the bad weather expected will likely keep them inside for much of the day tomorrow) and ran into the rain, into the darkness. I stopped only for a flashlight. DH was right behind me (I am not going to say that he "poo-poos" me when he thinks something is not serious, but sometimes I have to nudge him a bit. And we both essentially trust the other's judgement.).

Upon arriving outside in the dark drizzle we had barking dogs in one ear and a shouting, clapping young man in the other. I moved the flashlight around and yelled to him. [Every now and again Paddy escapes. We were only half afraid that she was out of the yard, protecting us and terrorizing the shouting neighbor.]

Our guys were at the gate - still safely in the back yard. But other dogs were not so fortunate tonight. It seems the young man's dog had escaped. He was blocks from their house calling for her.

He walked over to us, described the dog (boxer) and gave us her name (Abby). I asked if he lived halfway to the park. "Yes," he said, "red door." I handed him the flashlight and he assured me he would bring it back. I suggested he leave it on his front porch. We will walk by and pick it up tomorrow or the next day.

The man (we never asked his name) headed back into the storm, calling for his pup. We calmed Paddy and Scruffy - our potential disaster averted.

We can only think that he must have accidentally let Abby out of the front door and she "took off." He didn't even have time to stop for his coat or a hat or a flashlight.

I was a little miffed at myself for not offering at least a cap, but I only thought about it after he was gone and we were back inside drying off.

This will be one of those nights - not fit for man nor beast. Hopefully Abby will tire of her ramble and return home.

[Faucets are covered, sheets are thrown over tender plants, and we are almost ready for the cold front due in the early morning hours.]

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for coming along on the walk. Your comments are welcome.