Saturday, September 14, 2013

THE RANT

Now, I realize that my goal in writing about the walks is to soothe myself (and perhaps my readers) while sharing the inconsequential details and small joys of the (almost) daily journey. Forgive me if I irritate or insult anyone today. I am just calling it as I see it.

 After years in scouting, civil air patrol, sports et al., we discovered that the "point" of these activities went well beyond our naive purposes. WE participated to provide (what we judged to be) responsible leadership/supervision, bonding with our children, and opportunities for the kids to try out different things. Others had similar motivations (God bless them. We love them still and hold them all close to our hearts). However, many (all too many) parents/guardians/DNA providers used these activities as free day care.

And today, the "day care runners" created traffic hazards on their way to drop their munchkins off at the sports fields in our park. Cars sped down our street well beyond the posted limit (or any safe speed in a residential neighborhood). Folks turned in front of oncoming traffic. Vehicles swerved around corners and made wide turns, kicking up gravel and forcing the wary to dive off of sidewalks and into adjacent grass to avoid injury. WHAT THE HECK?

One can only think that many of these "gentle souls" and demolition derby drivers are desperate in their need to drop-off the rug-rats  so they can have a few moments of freedom from the challenges they have created and are now foisting off on kind-hearted volunteers.

[I remember one mother asking me incredulously, "You mean they don't PAY you to be a scout leader?"]

So, we will try to get up earlier in the future. And we will continue to bless the coaches, scout leaders and others who take on the responsibility of mentoring and raising other people's children.






No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for coming along on the walk. Your comments are welcome.