Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Most people like chocolate

I probably won't walk to the park in the morning.I have been walking back and forth across my kitchen this evening, making a chocolate cake. That may be enough walking.

Baking is therapy for me. And I enjoy treating my co-workers, especially on birthdays. I let the birthday person choose (from my limited repertoire) a birthday cake for a small celebration in the office.

Three young people (M, D, and E) have started working with us in the past month or so. Because this is our busy season, I have not had time to bake. In fact, I don't remember the last time I baked - I even had to dig the cookbook I use the most out from under a pile of other cookbooks (I have been canning) and, for some strange reason, a stack of bags of legumes. [Yes, it is a strangely organized kitchen.]

So these new "co-workers" had no idea what we were talking about last week when we discussed birthdays and cakes and the "options" on the list. And, I should add, only two of the young ones (D and E) were present that day. So, I made a mental note to get all the new birthdays on my calendar this week (of course I have not completed that task yet).

As I was about to shut down the computer and head home this evening, one of the new workers came in to let me know that M's birthday is tomorrow! Of course, that means a birthday cake, but M had gone home and couldn't choose. In fact, M will likely be completely surprised.

So we chose for him. It is chocolate cake. In fact, it is the wonderful and easy 30 minute Texas Sheet Cake. [Don't most people like chocolate?]

2 cups of flour and 2 cups of sugar were whisked, a just-boiled mixture of cocoa (4 Tablespoons), butter (two sticks), and a cup of water was stirred in. Then two (room temperature - thanks eldest child and Martha Stewart) eggs were beaten in along with one teaspoon of vanilla and one teaspoon of baking soda. Finally, one must not forget the buttermilk or soured milk (1/2 cup) added at the end.

The cake is baked at 350 degrees in a sheet pan (9x16x3) for about 30 minutes. It is iced when still warm with a warm icing (4 tablespoons of cocoa, 1 stick of butter, and a dash of milk heated until bubbly and then a teaspoon of vanilla and a few cups of confectioner's/powdered sugar are mixed in until the icing looks right). I will be icing this cake in the morning. It's late. I don't think anyone will mind.

It all sounds so simple. Why the kitchen hike?  Hmm, I seem to need to constantly wash my hands and I do not "prepare" everything before I cook. [No, I do not have a compulsion, but I need to wash off the flour/butter/eggs and what-have-you.] And so it was back and forth across the kitchen...washing hands, dropping dirty utensils in the sink, tossing away trash and such.

I am now waiting for the cake to smell right.  If this is driving you crazy, join the club. I know I frustrate at least one of my children. I should measure carefully and plan ahead and set a timer. But I have learned what I can adjust (But NEVER forget the soda or you will end up with door mats.)  recipes and that the cake is done when I can smell it as I sit relaxing in the living room. Ignore the whiff of "done" at your peril!

<Short break>

Yup. It was done. No, I do not "test" for done with a knife or toothpick. I just give the cake a little "press" with my index finger and check to see if the sides are "pulling away" from the pan.

Look, it works for me.

More about the cake:

I. One can substitute liqueur for the water if one is not taking the cake to a place where you bear some responsibility for maintaining "alcohol free" status.

II. Mom always called this cake "bride's delight" as it is always turns out a little different. I suppose humidity and altitude and perhaps even the freshness of the ingredients (maybe even how careful you are about measuring!) can impact the outcome. The cake can rise well and be very "cakey" or can be low and dense like brownies. However it comes out of the oven (except when you leave out the soda - see above) it is good.

III. Back in the day, when I was teaching, I would make two cakes at a time. One stayed home for the kids and the other fed my students. And I would make them in the morning - ah, the beauty of a 30 minute cake.

IV. I never made this cake until I was grown and married. It is my SISTER'S cake. She would make it or Mom would make it, but I made other things - apple pie, divinity, and oatmeal cookies were mine. My sister made this chocolate cake and buttermilk pie, among other things. One does not trespass when you live in the same house. Now, all bets are off.

V. Four words - Blue Bell Homemade Vanilla!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for coming along on the walk. Your comments are welcome.