Sunday, September 8, 2013

A long long walk - with lots of laughter

A little over 33 years ago I agreed to travel through this life with DH.

I have been asked many questions about coming to this decision. Among the easy and sometime flippant answers is that he is a good story teller, he has a great sense of humor, and I knew I would never be bored.

Some days I get a little reminder:

Somehow I managed to talk him into taking the recycling with me (promising lunch after our environmentally responsible delivery) today.

We climbed into my vehicle with  plastic, newspaper, aluminum cans, and cardboard overflowing the backseat and the trunk for the 15 minute drive to the next town and the recycling center. After belting in, I started the car. The radio blasted "You idiots!" DH and I both stopped, looked at each other, and burst into laughter. "Satellite radio has never insulted me!" he said.

Our town is a radio reception "black hole." Some days we have no issues, but most of the time station overlaps station or static disrupts music/story. DH has no patience for such inconvenience and has loved his satellite ratio for the last couple of years. I love NPR, even if I don't always get the best reception or I miss the end of a story. [So, not only were we insulted by the radio today, but we were assaulted by NPR!]

Still, driver gets to choose the radio station and we listened to a number of stories on our Sunday adventure, even waiting to get out at the end of this journey to finish the story* about words for color in ancient writings (apparently only the Egyptians had a word for "blue.").

And the walk continues...



*http://www.radiolab.org/2012/may/21/sky-isnt-blue/


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for coming along on the walk. Your comments are welcome.