Friday, July 5, 2013

A dog with his nose in the air

DH was lazy, lazy today - skipped his run and Xfit. So I made him walk the dogs.

We wandered down the dirt road and flushed one buck. The rest of the herd was nearby as Scruffy kept his nose in the air for most of the walk. Paddy was tracking. Both were adamant that they be allowed into the brush. I resisted. No other deer broke cover today.

I saw no reason to find Jake (the snake) in the fields. We stayed on the road and casually took photos of a few plants.

The wildflowers are almost bloomed out, but there are still a few coneflowers, gaillardia, and silverleaf nightshade (I think I just like to say "nightshade" - so creepy and dark. But look it up. The entire plant is poisonous. The tomato-like "fruit" is especially toxic and will hang uneaten on the plants in the heat of August.). The small wafer ash I have attempted to root was blooming, as were mesquites along the edge of the woods.

I will try again to gather seeds and take cuttings. Soon there will be time for gathering and gardening. As it is now, I will take my walks and enjoy the morning quiet.


Sunrise at the park

DH and puppies

Bull nettle seed pod

Wafer ash sapling

Wafers of the wafer ash

End of the gaillardia (and a few coneflowers)

Coneflowers and silverleaf nightshade

Stunted thistle

Mesquite blossoms (there's a bee gathering nectar)

Some little one's treasures dropped in haste.






No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for coming along on the walk. Your comments are welcome.