Thursday, June 20, 2013

Exciting walk...creatures I have never seen...

I managed to  convince DH to walk today even though he had excuses. I just wanted company as I am nursing a sore arm and want to make sure I could manage the pups. It is always great to have backup, a little help.

We were out early but not too early. The sky was already brightening. The birds were singing. And, as we entered the park, we all saw tiny creatures running back and forth at the curb. In the dim light it was hard to make them out. I thought, "squirrels?"  "possum?" "rats?" "What the heck?"

BABY ARMADILLOS!

I have never seen a baby armadillo before today. They were about 1/3 the size of an adult and very fast. And they were crazy brave/oblivious.

The dogs were mad to get to them. The armadillos ignored us all. DH stomped at them to warn them away and we were able to keep walking towards the main area of the park.

And there, grazing in the field along the roads were three whitetails. We walked to within 40 yards of them before any of them looked up. They watched us for a while and then one walked into the brush. The other two just stared before one finally spooked and ran, closely followed by the other. The dogs never noticed.

It was such a pleasure on this final work day of the week. I forget how much better my day is after an early morning walk.

[Of course, I forgot the camera today. And we have not seen the bunny for days.]

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for coming along on the walk. Your comments are welcome.