Saturday, September 29, 2012

Water rushing down the streets

We awoke to pouring rain. When it slowed to a sprinkle I grabbed the only umbrella I could find and one pup. I thought it would be better to struggle with one dog at a time on the rain-slick sidewalk. The weather started and stopped, sprinkled and poured on us. As Padimus chased down stray smells, my mind wandered back 45 years or so.

I remember Mom letting us use her big black umbrella to walk down the sidewalk at 1020. Sometimes we would walk around the block, balancing on the wide curbs or splashing through the puddles.

As I watched the water run along the curbs, down the streets and rush noisily into the mouths of the storm drains I thought about riding my bike through the few inches of rain accumulating in the church parking lot or at Dave Odem school. And sometimes I would drag my feet as I rode along - skimming the top of the water and splashing  - and sometime misjudging the depth of a puddle just enough to catch a splinter of glass or sticker burr.

The rain began again in earnest and we headed home. We will all need a good long walk tomorrow with fewer distractions and musings...but there will be water in the creeks and low places in the park tempting a few splashes...





No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for coming along on the walk. Your comments are welcome.