Tuesday, September 25, 2012

I am not a cowboy

[Should I mention that pet ownership is like parenthood? You already know this. I know this. But I have never lost sleep like I did last night. Parents know that sometimes it isn't WHAT you hear, but what you DON'T hear. Last night I didn't hear Scruff's barks - he is Sir Barksalot. He always barks at least a little. If he is especially vocal I will bring him in to give all of us some peace. I woke last night to silence (3:30). Had I seen the dogs when I arrived home late? Had I heard them before I went to bed? I fretted a bit, but then fell back asleep for another few hours. Was it the headache? Was it the anxiety-filled few weeks of work that overflowed into my home life? Whatever. Dogs were waiting for me at the gate (inside, thankfully) for our walk.]

This day was as humid as yesterday, but a little hazy - with a slight breeze. We could see the stars but they glowed ringed with slight misty halos.

Paddy and Scruffy were determined to get to the park as quickly as possible. We lost no time except for the complete halt in the middle of the street to sniff at something. My dogs do not worry about the speeding - late for work- vehicles I notice every morning.

They did stop and stare into the darkness more than once. They have repeated this over the past couple of days. I have wondered what they saw in the darkness. Deer? No. The fox? No. The ghosts of old settlers or deer and fox of the past? Nothing of substance appeared (and these silly guys will start at a plastic bag fluttering or Styrofoam cup rolling in the breeze) and so we moved along.

We arrived at the park in time to see David already walking, Escalade Man arrive to start his slow and steady run, and Bobby zipping in for his walk. That was enough company for us to feel comfortable for a walk into the park (in the dark), extending our walk by about a quarter mile and allowing a trip to the drinking fountain.

And there she was - the park cat.

We have missed the park cat. She has been absent (from our view) for some weeks. We know she is a clever - wily creature. She has survived for years through drought and flood, hard freezes and hellacious summers. We felt sure she was around somewhere. But it is always good to give her a nod as we walk along.

We gave her a wide berth (no need to give her a fright) and arrived at the fountain sans drinking dish. Often we have DH's empty coffee cup. Today we had nothing. And there was no discarded cup or bottle on the ground. And I am not a cowboy. I had no hat to lift water to my horses.

But, I did have a dog bag.

I wondered.

Eureka!  These lovely, sturdy, park provided bags work like a charm to water two very thirsty pups.

We headed home and had only two heart-pounding moments along the street.

The first occurred as a neighborhood cat ran past exciting the dogs to no end. They whined and fretted when I refused to allow them to give chase.

The second was the moment we neared Mohawk dog's house. A loud gruff bark came out of the darkness to remind us that dogs live there - big beautiful dogs with lovely voices. The headlights of a car stopped at the intersection lit up our friends milling around their yard.

Then home.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for coming along on the walk. Your comments are welcome.