Thursday, February 22, 2018

Three Teapots

Making a teapot is considered a milestone for many people learning pottery, 
and it’s often presented as an intellectual challenge. 
While some get intimidated 
and struggle to complete their first one, 
making a teapot becomes easier 
and more fun 
the more you make.

~Yoko Sekino Bove


I've been doing clay for a while now - off and on since January 2010.* Somehow, during 8 years of ceramics classes, I've managed to avoid making a teapot. I didn't need a teapot. There are multiple parts (so they are harder). I could list a number of reasons NOT to make a teapot.

At the end of last semester my instructor, TH (the new guy), asked what my goals would be for spring. "Well," I confessed, "I have never made a teapot" (thinking I'd make one). TH suggested I make three. "They don't have to work."

My brain exploded a little - three teapots! How much time would that take away from my fumbling around and goofing off? I was going to have to pay attention.

Break ended and I came back with my goals (three teapots, throw bigger) in the back of my mind. I fumbled around and goofed off for a week or two. Getting back in the groove of throwing (centering and wedging are basic and still issues for me). I was surprised to find it all so easy. It's always magic to me. Maybe it's muscle memory. Maybe I just got out of my way. I don't know, but I felt confident and at ease. I've actually been helping students without that "you're a fraud" feeling.

One day I threw the pieces for a teapot. They looked okay. I made 3 spouts since I was not sure what I was doing. I made two lids as well. The one pictured fit the best. I think I let the pieces dry a little too much, but I built the pot anyway and it survived the bisque fire.

It's a teapot-ish. I like the rounded edges.

I'm not too crazy about the way the spout attaches to the body of the pot. It is an adequate, if heavy, teapot. I'm struggling with the glazing right now as some parts need to have glaze while other parts need to be glaze free (the lid and body must fit unglazed ring to unglazed ring or else the lid will fuse shut.

In the meantime, I started researching teapots online and discovered the one-minute-teapot challenge.** I watched a few hours of potters making one-minute-teapots. I watched success and failure. I watched 4-minute-teapot makers.

This is going to be fun...a challenge and a "performance" teapot. I've completed a few practice runs and I have videotaped myself making two 2-minute-teapots. I cannot seem to throw any faster.

I've never figured out how to post videos here. This is a "still" taken off the computer. One way these "timed" pots move fast is that the correct-ish balls of clay are waiting in order nearby as are all the necessary tools (mostly sponges, water, and wire tool - which I choose to think of as a garrote. [It's the coolest tool I have according to DH. I think he is.]
They all look alike...rather obscene and clunky.  They aren't meant to be saved. This one went back in the clay bag right away.

These teapots aren't pretty, but they are fun. At the end they must "pour." I've destroyed most of the practice pots, but one friend asked for one "glazed in bright colors." Sure.

It's not a pretty pot, but it pours - it's mostly a colorful paperweight.

I continue to practice quick throwing (is that like a "quick-draw"?) and hope to knock a full minute off my time before the end of the semester. We will see.

The final teapot is about two inches high.

Proof the lid works.
I'll add some kind of braided handle on top. I thought the handles should be different.

My love of clay began in childhood - first making mud pies and then a little later when I made everything I could think of out of Play-Doh.*** I made colorful turtles as well as food and dishes for my Barbie doll.**** I can still see the tiny yellow cup I formed around the end of my pinkie.

To honor these beginnings, I made a teapot that was a somewhat appropriate size for Barbie (maybe if she was serving a large crowd at tea).

There! Three teapots!


[Disclaimer: I'm posting while I can find the photos. I am trying to de-clutter my computer. I'll post the final products in a final note here at some point.]

NOTES:

*My transcript shows I've taken this course 16 times. I dropped once when my work was just not allowing me any time to get into the studio. I made 2 Bs - probably because I didn't listen to my professor. I have had 3 instructors and have learned different skills from each of them. Each has pushed me in different and correct/necessary directions. It's been amazing, therapeutic, satisfying work/play.

**I believe master potter/comedian, Johnny Vegas, is responsible for this madness. His one-minute pot is in the Victoria and Albert Museum. Mine actually looks a little neater.

https://collections.vam.ac.uk/item/O35096/teapot-vegas-johnny/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ItVqHciGtqw

***https://playdoh.hasbro.com/en-us?kid=43700024813482448&gclid=CjwKCAiA_c7UBRAjEiwApCZi8aBJEdnRWBc0aXQNT080c7s7NS2mxj1GAIzIhAv1PoiQas31AnE0SBoC9ioQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

****https://barbie.mattel.com/shop [I am old enough to have had some of the earliest dolls - Midge and bubble coiffured Barbie. My sister may have had the original Barbie.]


1 comment:

  1. Down to 1 min. 15 seconds so far on the "performance" teapot.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for coming along on the walk. Your comments are welcome.