Wednesday, February 28, 2018

The Potter, the Work (so far)

...failure with clay was more complete and more spectacular 
than with other forms of art. 
You are subject to the elements... 
Any one of the old four - earth, air, fire, water - can betray you 
and melt, or burst, or shatter - 
months of work into dust and ashes and spitting steam. 
You need to be a precise scientist, 
and you need to know how to play with what chance will do 
to your lovingly constructed surfaces in the heat of the kiln. 
~ A. S. Byatt, The Children's Book


I've wanted to throw pots since I was about 5 years old. I was the "Play-doh kid." I made all kinds of things from it.

See this little girl? She is focused on that beautiful brown mug. The mug is Iroquois Casual China by Russell Wright. Daddy eventually dropped all these mugs, but I have since found two. There will never be a better mug, but I still try.*

After my grandmother died I found a Western Stoneware jug in her garage. It was the start of a stoneware collection that continues to inspire me. [I think I have written about the collection. I have started culling it and donating some pieces to museums.]

In 2010 I talked the ceramics instructor to teach a night class so that I could finally learn to throw pots (I was working full time plus - long story and so the class had to be at night).

Since that time I have hand built and learned to throw. I now work in earthenware, stoneware, and porcelain.  And I'm finally starting to feel comfortable in the clay. I have entered student shows and one regional show (with real ceramic artists!).

Package #4  - hand built from earthernware slip, burlap, and cardboard. Glazed with lowfire glazes and glass.

I try to take home very little because I need no more things. Most of the work is given away, often for charity fundraisers.

Here are some photos (and dates if I can figure them out). I suppose I will keep updating as I (hopefully) continue to progress

THE WORK:

Covered Containers:

First covered container - The God Spot
This is what it looked like without glaze
Different view. I threw this alone one weekend.

This is my second covered container. It's the same glaze - Vainy. The first container is more interesting, but this one is much lighter.
These just sit on the shelf. I'm not sure what they are for - hide stuff?
This is an example of my efforts to incorporate driftwood. I'm still working on it.

Mugs and cups:

A whiskey cup
Another whiskey cup
Tea cup and coffee mug made for some friends. I worked a long time on handles and I like those in the mugs below much better.
Assortment of black mugs.
Early work. These are all VERY HEAVY (we call them "bombs" when they are overly heavy). I still throw a bit bottom heavy to add stability - so kids and cats don't tip things over too easily. I loved watching how the glazes worked together, but my instructor said these just looked like I was testing the glazes.

Here I was practicing trimming.
Mugs, cups and vases. I usually like these handles.
These little cups were for candles. I am pretty fond of the blue and red glazing on the left.
I hope to find the right glaze for these dragonfly mugs. 2017
Mug and cup  - playing with glazes (These were to be purple and red, but the red glaze was empty).

Vases:

I have a talent for the "frumpy pot." I'm still working on that.

Yeah, I know there is a mug in the front, but look at that vase in the back.
One of my larger vases in porcelain. Glaze tends to slide or drip a bit on this smooth clay. I wasn't happy with the glaze on this piece, but I was glad to be throwing larger. "Collaring in" the neck has been challenging for me. I think I have the hang of it now.
Two tiny vases with a shino glaze. These are the vases I've been wanting to perfect.
Raku vase. My best so far.
This was a lovely pot, but the rim chipped badly. We use it as an example now. The bowl is also Raku, but unglazed with applied horse hair.
Love this glaze.
Throwing a vase for a Sinton friend, LH.  I love this shape. It took a purple glaze and was gorgeous with wildflowers. These tiny vases are hard to overfill.
Preparing to dip in glaze bucket.
Pouring out the extra glaze.
Nice little periwinkle blue glaze. Love this little guy.
Picked a bunch of wildflower to show how  it would look for my friend. She will be able to pick wildflowers for herself this year!
Candle cups and vases 2017
Vases waiting. The should be ordered the other direction. Three on the left are 2018. The little one is a 2017 waiting for an experimental glaze fire. The darker vase second from left is just thrown and waiting for bisque fire.

Baskets:

Another attempt to incorporate driftwood resulted in experiments with these "baskets." Some have turned out better than others. I've also tried deer antler handles.




Drying baskets.
Sizing antlers
I'm not sure any of these actually worked well.

Other stuff:

I make a face every semester. I'll add photos when I find them.
Test for retablo - Nave Museum fundraiser - words from Requiem by Eliza Gilkyson, used with permission.***
Some of the 2017 flight of Salvation of Doves project****


 NOTES:

* I found one mug in an antique shop outside of Seattle. The other I found online, I think. So I have them in the cabinet. I take them out and look at them, but I don't let anyone use them. Maybe I will start using them. [Also on the table are that fabulous napkin holder, a bottle of pepper sauce, a jar of fig preserves I bet, a cinnamon-sugar shaker, and a maraca. I guess we needed some music at breakfast - even though we were not allowed to read or sing at the table. When I got to make the rules singing and reading at the table was approved.] How could anyone grow up with Russell Wright china (Mom and Dad) and an Eva Zeisel sugar bowl (Grandma Grace) and not become a potter?

**Package #4 was in the Regional Ceramic Exhibition at the University of Dallas in 2011. Cynthia Bringle was the juror selecting 65 works from the 600+ entries and making 2 top awards and 10 Awards of Merit. I was stunned to receive an Award of Merit - almost danced home. [I only entered because my instructor made me. Thanks MM!]
https://udallas.edu/constantin/academics/programs/art/ceramics/regionalexhibitions.php
https://www.flickr.com/photos/138686818@N02/24356714552/in/album-72157663551128822/

***https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=blaXoIwznVQ

****My 10 year project to raise money for Children's Outreach (CASA). It was designed to take me well into retirement. It has. [100 doves for 10 years] http://www.artofpeacefestival.com/13.html




Unending thanks to all my art teachers over the years especially MM, SP, and TH who patiently nudge me in the right direction(s) and don't laugh at the mud on my face.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for coming along on the walk. Your comments are welcome.