Thursday, August 17, 2017

Bats and Cricket Frogs - Crazy Lady on the River!


The river - late in the day.

Loud children’s voices on the river.

It was getting dark and I could hear the cricket frogs, but just. Bats were coming in for a drink.  

Surely someone will call these children to supper, I thought.

I spoke (of course the first stuff was a lie, but then I changed tactics).

“May we make friends,” the little boy asked his father when I said something about the bats.

“What?” asked his father.

“The crazy lady,” I responded. “Is it okay to talk to the crazy lady?”

“Of course. Oh. The crazy lady. Hahaha!” replied dad. "You're not crazy!"

[Little does he know.]

We talked about the bats – what kind they are,* where you can see them emerge,** and what they eat. We talked a little about sick bats and “bat safety.”***

CL: Listen. Do you hear that click-click-click?

Children (Z, G, & S): Yes!

CL: That is a frog. It’s about this big (indicating just over an inch with my fingers). It’s called a cricket frog, because it sounds a bit like a cricket. It’s saying, “Come over here.”

G: How do you know what it’s saying?

CL: Because I speak frog. Do you want me to teach you?

Lots of nodding of heads

CL: Okay. Take two small rocks. Got ‘em? Now click them together fast. 

Children: Click-click-click. Click-click-click. Click-click-click.

Cricket Frog: Click-click-click-click-click-click-click-click-click.

CL: Hear that? You called him and he’s answering you.


Almost silence now on the river, save the sound of rocks being clicked quickly, and the reply of the cricket frog.


I got a cricket frog to respond at the pond as well and then saw a frog hopping on the bank. But I don't think this is the cricket frog. I'm pretty sure this is a leopard frog.

NOTES:

*Probably Mexican Free-tailed. 
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mexican_free-tailed_bat

**There are a couple of places near here to see them. One is at the Devil's Sinkhole near Rocksprings, Edwards County. 
https://tpwd.texas.gov/state-parks/devils-sinkhole

***DO NOT TOUCH A BAT. If a bat is on the ground, it is probably sick. If you should somehow come in contact with one, tell your parent or teacher.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for coming along on the walk. Your comments are welcome.