Sunday, June 25, 2017

Ponds Disclose Their Treasure

Four ducks on a pond,
A grass-bank beyond,
A blue sky of spring,
White clouds on the wing:
What a little thing
To remember for years -
To remember with tears!

~William Allingham


We've been apart for a couple of days and were laying low this morning. Laundry and naps seemed in order.

It's been raining off and on and the weather reports promise more. But ever ready to avoid chores, I suggested we take a look at the ponds. We have noticed fewer creatures as the water levels have decreased. Maybe the recent rain has lured more feathered ones.

All around us the sky was dark and threatening.

The birds were grouped up at the first pond.  Forty-two Cattle Egrets stood together a bit away from the cattle. Four Great Egrets perched on the branches of a fallen tree, preening.

We moved further down the road as dragonflies (hundreds), Killdeer (2), and Mockingbirds (2) fluttered and flew about us. Some of the human residents were working in their yards and gardens. We always wave and hope they don't worry about us - as we stalk this small country lane.

Each pond disclosed some treasure. In one we found 6 Great Egrets. In another a Great Blue Heron and a cormorant. The next held 2 Snowy Egrets, a Great Blue Heron and a Little Blue Heron. The next held a duck - that disappeared as I was distracted by a flock of sparrows (25 + maybe Field Sparrows) landing just beyond the water with a number of blackbirds.

Six Great Egrets and three more Cattle Egrets in the distance with the cows.

You can tell they are "Greats" because of the yellow beak. Someone mentioned the other day that they used to just be the Common Egret. I guess that was before they were hunted (almost to extinction) for their feathers...then they weren't so common anymore.
Left to right - Snowy Egret, Little Blue Heron, Great Egret.
Great Blue Heron.
Cormorant (Don't know what kind. I will have to get cracking on telling these apart).

Two Fox Squirrels live on this road and regularly balance on the pipe fence - racing the car for a quarter mile or so. They appeared and disappeared, giving up the race.

We tried for a few photos - the bad cell photos posted here. We mostly checked our our identification skills with a pair of my dad's binoculars.

Knowing one white blob from another is getting so much easier for me. I wonder if I will ever be able to know more birds by song, call, flight patter, silhouette and more.  For now, I memorize these few egrets and herons.* I smile at the Killdeer call I DO know and have known since childhood. I nod at the mockingbirds with their easy to identify feather patterns. My lists are boring - almost always the same birds. But I am working away at the edges.**

DH helped me juggle list and pen, glasses and cellphone. He is a wonderful spotter. "Large white bird flying at 3 o'clock," he will call. He is getting better at identification as well. "Look, there's another Great Blue Heron flying away from that pond!"

There is one pond where we rarely see birds. We have debated why. Is it inhabited by an alligator? That is not an impossibility in ponds so close to the Leon River. As we drove past the "barren" pond I shouted, "STOP!" At the far end of the pond is a fallen tree trunk with what looked like turtles lined up along the top. I grabbed the binoculars and looked. Yes, there were  turtles of varying sizes resting on the trunk. I saw few characteristics that might identify them, but I will try. I suspect one of a couple of species we see in other ponds. Barren indeed - this pond is full of turtles.


We packed up our lists and gear and headed back to town for lunch -- and that promised nap.

NOTES:

*Great Egret has black legs and a yellow/orange beak. Snowy Egret is smaller with fluffier feathers often, a black slender beak and black legs with flesh/yellow colored feet. Cattle Egrets are smaller yet with a tan Mohawk and tan back.

**With herons I try to remember size and coloring. It is easy to know when something IS or IS NOT a Great Blue. Then I go to the books, although I knew the Little Blue today (after comparing photos this week). The night herons confuse me a bit. The Green Heron I have seen twice now, but in other places. 







No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for coming along on the walk. Your comments are welcome.