Sunday, February 28, 2016

Friends - 10 years of house concerts

 If I confess to you -
About some bad things that I've done,
Would you love me still?
Would I still be the one?
Would you be with me,
Or would you set me free?
If I confess to you ....

                                                  ~ Bruce Jones from "If I confess to you"


My brother has been posting "gratitude Friday" thoughts each week. It has been a powerful exercise.  I have learned a thing or two about him and about our shared (but apparently somewhat different) childhoods. And, following his mindful and thankful example, I will share this message of gratitude.

My friend CS took this photo. There's a flash of Flash on the left, then Jeanne, Emily, and Bruce. Melinda disappeared (how did that happen?).

Last night I attended the celebration of the 10th year of house concerts at my friend HK's home. Some amazing musicians/friends and a great audience of friends gathered for a few hours. The musicians (in no particular order*), The Eastside Flash (Bennet Spielvogel), Jeanne Kyser, Melinda Brooks, Bruce Jones, and Emily Kaitz are amazing, talented, big-hearted, sensitive, funny, wry...well, you get the idea.

A friend I have not seen in a couple of years was the first person I almost "ran over" when I entered and sprinted for a seat in the living room/concert venue. "Oh my goodness how great to see you! Where have you been?" ** and similar messages were exchanged as we embraced and caught up.

HK had cooked for us. Coffee was ready. Snacks and beverages awaited.

The some musicians and audience members milled around while a little tuning and warming up floated down the hall.

I have known some of these performers for more than 30 years. One member of the audience (also a musician, artist, teacher, father) has been a friend for 43 years.***

There's no way to recount this walk we have had - to describe the entire journey. But I can take this moment to be grateful for the gift of companionship, music, comfort, and acceptance.  My "fellow travelers" have so enriched my life.

We sang, we talked, we laughed, we shared. No one wanted to leave. But home we headed (me to fight with a cat who insisted on lounging on the computer - keeping me from writing then).

So, thanks HK, Emily, Flash, Jeanne, Bruce, Melinda, CS, HS, and all.**** You have so enriched my life.

How fortunate am I.

                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         
NOTES:

*Well, actually, from left to right as I observed them performing. I guess I am a visual learner after all.

**"Retired and traveling" was the reply. We first met at this house concert series, years ago.

***How can this be? Strangely enough, when I moved to this town 26 years ago, I ran into this fellow, who grew up in a town near my hometown and who performed music with his brother at area churches, including mine. We met again while sitting on a sidewalk with our families, waiting for the July 4th parade to begin.

****Thanks for the photo, CS!

Hobbes does not encourage my writing. Computers are for lounging, apparently.

MUSIC:  Here's a sample, if you are interested. And you should be.

Blinding Light - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iNJ-CMt6kTo

Me & the Cat Are On a Diet - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ggzkMZ2tgaQ

Monotone Land - with some different artists, but a taste of a house concert if you have never attended one. - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pI-qzdOZNT0


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for coming along on the walk. Your comments are welcome.