Saturday, January 16, 2016

One last trip into the wild...

Looking up - a grey day.

At breakfast a friend recommended, "take him where you walked with him."
That was our plan.

And so we headed out to our favorite place...where he ran and got into all kinds of mischief... where he demonstrated that he knew a few words beyond his name...like "cookie"...and where I discovered that he watched out for me, coming back to check on me and hurry me along.
 
It was misty and grey. We said our goodbyes. The sun tried to peek out from between the clouds. We only saw it briefly reflected in the creek.

Trees and almost sun reflected in the creek
A raccoon left paw prints alongside those of deer in the mud of the creek bank.
The flood flow of the creek had receded some. The water was clear.
The dry remain of the wildflowers blooming dry and brown.
Yucca seedpods bloomed as well.
It is strange at this time of year, when the only color we see is from the prickly pear.
A bag worm in the brambles at the creek...
...and in the cedars at the gate.















4 comments:

  1. I am so sorry about Scruffy. I took Sophie Sue out on Christmas Eve to watch the sunset with me. I took photos of her, and of the sunset. I took a video of me petting her. I knew I'd need it, although I didn't realize then how soon it would be that I didn't have her, or how soon it would be that I needed those pictures and that video.

    I have been trying to go back out, to places I went with her, and to places I couldn't take her because she could never walk that far, being a Shar-pei.

    Each step is still painful, each sunset takes me further away from her. I am starting to have moments where I don't ache, here and there. I started playing piano again a few days ago, and I've started writing again. I know this means I'm starting to handle this, process it, heal. Even though in a way, I don't want to, because it means letting go a little bit more.

    I understand you missing your sweet doggie; for sure I understand. Thank you for sharing this with me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you find some peace. Grieving and mourning are hard. Remember the good times!

      Delete
  2. Ever since Sophie died, I've been seeing heart shapes everywhere. And now, look at your photo...the top one. There's a heart in the opening in that cloud. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for coming along on the walk. Your comments are welcome.