Friday, January 15, 2016

One dog again

It is warm for winter - 65 degrees with a slight wind. We have been stalling, putting off the first walk without Scruffy. Today seemed as good a day as any to wander down to the park, just we three.

Paddy was an easy walk. She is notorious for pulling too hard or perhaps I am getting too old/out of shape. But today she walked down to the neighborhood park and back without tugging me along. She followed the scents and markings along the sidewalk, but did not seem to fret over all the barkers we encountered (there is a new deep voiced Dane midway to the park).

We will be taking Scruffy's ashes* to the wildlife area this afternoon. This is such a beautiful day - the perfect day.

Then I am committed ** to begin regular walks again with our old girl. Both we "old girls" can use the walks and have gotten out of the habit.

Bright blue sky. Sunny winter day.
I love these pecan trees.

Paddy caught the scent of deer in the field. Deer prints were everywhere in the soft ground near the creek.

NOTES:

* We do not usually have the ashes of our pets, but DH was making quick decisions the other day and this what was decided. It will probably be a good thing - force us out in the sunshine once again - make us cross the fields and through the naked woods to the creek and back.

** or should be.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for sharing this with me.

    I went to a place last night that Sophie could have never gone. I watched the sunset there. I took out my phone and forced myself to look at the photos of how skinny she'd gotten. I forced myself to look at photos of her after she'd died. I looked and cried until I ran out of tears, trying to get to the bottom of my grief, so I can climb out of it again.

    Climbing that difficult hill felt like the right fit, and watching that sunset somewhere she couldn't have come felt like a step forward. Even though she wasn't there, I talked to her anyway. And her blanket kept me warm, in what turned out to be an unexpectedly cold evening.

    Today, I held it together long enough to get her ashes. Maybe tomorrow I'll be strong enough to take another walk on my own.

    Thank you for sharing this.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for coming along on the walk. Your comments are welcome.