Friday, June 6, 2014

Sisters by choice

I am not one for "turning" a phrase, but I am a thief of a good expression. Some years ago I stole St. Paul's frequent greeting, "I thank my God for you." It was the perfect acknowledgment for Sunday school notes.  And I know that I did not coin, "grateful to walk the earth with her," a description I frequently use for people who make my life easier/inspire me/share their gifts. You know people like that. Or at least I hope you do.

Recently I was able to enjoy a long weekend with two women who are my "sisters by choice." One of them used that expression as we toured and shopped and dined and shared our way through a major city and its suburbs.* [All through the weekend people asked us if we were sisters. "Yes," we said. "Yes, we are!"]

We have known each other for 40 years - meeting first at college located in that mission-filled city on a river in central Texas. We had somewhat similar backgrounds, but we were different in other ways (two were from cities while one was from a small town, two had siblings while one was an only child, two studied psychology while one studied business....). We were suite mates and roommates and classmates. We studied together and prayed together and partied together and played sports together ** and laughed together and cried together.

Over the years we have stayed in touch - visiting when possible and sharing life's joy and sadness.

Each of us has, among other things, married, raised children, changed jobs, earned advanced degrees, and gone grey.***

There are few people who know me as well as these ladies do. They know my gifts and my challenges. They know my stubbornness, my artistic nature, my organizational ability (and lack thereof). They love me "warts and all."****

So, this is a thank you note and a love note to my good friends (and to good friends everywhere - what would we do without them?). I am so glad that they walk this earth with me.

And I thank my God for them.


NOTES:

* Watch for future posts of our adventure.
** OK. THEY played intramural softball and I managed the team.
***Oops, perhaps I said too much - I admit a close relationship with a colorist.
****As my mother would say.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for coming along on the walk. Your comments are welcome.