Sunday, May 25, 2014

Yes, I am a screamer...

There are thunderstorms moving north, just to our west. It looks like we will miss the excitement, but I decided to walk the puppies anyway - we needed to get out.

I usually don't walk to the park in the evenings. Too many people are out and they let their dogs out loose. It seems prudent to avoid all of it, but today it seemed late enough that most people would be inside, or heading inside. So the pups and I headed for the park, just a quick walk to stretch.

Two blocks from home a little yip-dog was barking. We crossed the road to avoid him even as we noticed the tether keeping him a few feet from the sidewalk.

We re-crossed the street and found a friend on her porch. DH worked with her some years ago and we regularly move her paper to her porch if we find it first...why not save her some steps.

As we neared her house we noticed the neighbors across the street gathering their animals into the house. One, a large bulldog mix and one a hairy yip-dog seemed interested in causing trouble, but were stymied, but only for a moment, it seems.

We finished talking to Laverne and made the mistake of turning our backs on the house. The troublemakers escaped the house behind one of the owners (they were grilling in the front yard) and sped over to us where they sniffed and then started growling.

I pulled my guys back and away -  and screamed.

Ugh! <exasperated sighs and disappointment here>

I am a screamer.

One of the owners rushed across the street and gathered his dogs up. Cars stopped. He apologized mid-street.

Laverne invited me to sit with her on the porch swing, but I just stood and coughed and tried to catch my breath.

Then we tried to finish the walk. But Scruffy started wheezing and coughing too. I called DH in case he might be near his phone...and he called right back.

"Come get us please," I asked. "We've had a scare and need a ride."

We continued walking until DH arrived and we headed home.

Sorry, no peaceful walk today. Perhaps tomorrow.

2 comments:

  1. Better to be safe than sorry! Keep up the screams! I am not sure I wouldn't have been so scared that I couldn't scream. Sorry about the walk. It was a beautiful day here in Corpus Christi and an even more beautiful evening! I am watering my lilies so I will have some beautiful flowers come fall!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Alice. We spent some time with the pups in the yard just as it was getting dark. And we saw the lightning bugs! It has been so dry here that we have seen few bugs for a couple of years. So, that was my little reminder of how lovely things really are...

    The most important thing for the lilies is water in late August/early September. Rain works best!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for coming along on the walk. Your comments are welcome.