Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Food - Yes, I am that person

An army marches on its stomach* and walkers do need to eat. We did not eat "out" as much as we have on previous trips. MC and LD cooked many meals for us (We were well looked after!). These breakfasts and other meals were wonderful (and I have to get that crockpot roast recipe!).

LD, MC and DH's shoulder - in the kitchen.

German food is somehow comforting and familiar to me. I grew up on Texanized German cooking as my mother learned from her first generation German mother. We ate fried meats and potatoes and noodles and dumplings and boiled veggies and pickled veggies along with our southern black-eyed peas, cornbread, and okra.

My companions were none too cooperative in letting me photograph their meals, but they often allowed me a bite! And you can see how much I enjoyed the milchkaffee - especially with the decorated foamed milk.

 
Pizza - OK, I know this is Italian food, but it is pizza with a German twist.
 
Gnocchi with a creamy tomato sauce
Fish broiled in butter! The dish was rich and the plate was beautiful!

Look at this!
It was so lovely. I could have "eaten" the plate!

Coffee on the train. There was a croissant too, but I think it may have already been eaten.
See how pretty the decoration is on top?
  
Another decorated milchkaffee - German coffee with an Irish touch.
 
Breakfast with DH in the local bakery**.  Note the milchkaffe does not have a stencil atop, but it was still pretty good.
I'd best hurry - he is almost finished with his croissant.

A cone of small rolls and my final coffee in Germany. I think I ate my pasta dish before I remembered to take a picture. DH had a hamburger.

NOTES:

* Attributed to Napoleon Bonaparte

** DH and I traveled a bit for our honeymoon 30+ years ago. It should be no surprise that we still find it difficult to pass a bakery without stopping for a croissant (always a good choice).

[I will confess that we ate at McDonalds once. And it was pretty darned good! MC says there are different standards for fast food in Germany.]



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for coming along on the walk. Your comments are welcome.