Thursday, May 30, 2013

Bugs....

It was just daybreak when we fell out of the house for our morning walk in the humid, humid air. [At the end of the week we have a hard time getting these creaky old bones out of bed and out of the house for a walk.]

I left the house without a cane (protection, not balance - yet). DH forgot his coffee. And as the hounds and I  started across the yard, something streaked past. [Now, dogs apparently don't see all that well. They are attracted by the movement. People see better and are often frightened by the movement.]

Suddenly I was being dragged across the lawn by very excited pups.

My mind in about 2 seconds: "What is that? Raccoon? No, it's a cat. No, it isn't big enough to be a cat. What? There's a flash of white. It's a cottontail!"

Managing to get Paddy and Scruffy under control, I pulled them back towards the driveway to distract them and restart this walk.

DH had missed all the excitement (he was filling dog bowls as the rabbit ran). I related the story to him and, as we were about to head east to the park, delayed long enough to point out the very still rabbit sitting in the corner of the yard. DH reported that he had seen the rabbit on other mornings, but that it was in the dog yard (the dog-run that the dogs don't use, except to tunnel out of confinement).

Silly dogs confirmed what I had read about vision and movement. Prey that stands still can escape. DH and I observed and did not disclose the presence of a rabbit sitting mostly still, only a shiver or tremble to give him away.

The rest of the walk was uneventful. We stopped where we usually stop. We saw no friends as we traveled to and from the park. We had that memory and the dying rush of a wild and short chase...

But, as I left the house for work, I glanced into the side yard. Our cottontail friend had returned to the more traveled part of the yard. He was sitting quietly under the wheelbarrow, watching me, and preparing to run if I got too close.

So, here's the proof:

One bunny by the wheelbarrow. Don't you see him?


See him now?


A better view.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for coming along on the walk. Your comments are welcome.