Friday, May 24, 2013

20% chance of rain? Sure...thunderstorms, but no ice cream

After a long day sweating on some projects in the summer heat (no air conditioning where I was working), I finally gave up and headed home for a shower. I could see dark clouds towards home. By the time I arrived it had started storming.  I am leery of showering in a thunder storm.

But at the break between storms we needed to get the dogs out for a walk. So I sit here dirty and wet and doggy...but I am jumping ahead....

DH, Paddy, Scruffy and I headed down the street towards the park. We were running between raindrops initially. It continued to clear long enough for us to get to the park and decide to stop for ice cream. Cutting through the field we arrived as they were cleaning up for closing...the vanilla machine was off and dogs cannot eat chocolate. Bummer.
So we all headed home and the clouds opened up.   

DH moved quickly towards home. Our plan was for dogs and Walker to take shelter on a friend's porch while DH brought the car back.

So much for plans. We reached the porch and the rain decreased a bit. We continued on. DH was a few blocks ahead and a dog came tearing out of its yard across the street. He "woof, woofed" and I screamed for DH.

DH spun around and yelled at the dog. I pulled my pepper spray.

Confrontation was averted as defensive pooch's owner retrieved him from the yard.

Distracted, delayed, and drenched we entered our yard and house. We toweled dogs dry. Scruff retired to his kennel. [We will never know why he loves it, but he loves his kennel as much as Paddy hates hers.]

Paddy came into the living room and snoozed in front of the TV with me for a while. She did give me a few looks as if to say, "Where is the animal channel? I cannot believe you watch such junk!" Still she calmly handled the thunder - I suspect because she was snuggled up next to me.

Now pups are bedded down for the night. I am still dirty and wet and smell of dog. Time for a shower - the storms are over.

All in all it was a good and productive day. I suppose the only way it could have been better would have been if there had been ice cream...maybe tomorrow.


Note:

All the rain has greened up the woods. The ditches flow with runoff. It is wonderful to get the rain, but the yard is starting to look a little wild too. More rain is expected tomorrow. Maybe Sunday will be clear. There is mowing and trimming, planting and organizing ahead.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for coming along on the walk. Your comments are welcome.