Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Lonesome whistle blows...

 When I hear that whistle blowin' I hang my head and I cry...

~ Johnny Cash and Willie Nelson, Folsome Prison Blues 


Our evening walk started with at least one of us decidedly NOT in the moment. Mowing and trimming and the dying red bud tree initially consumed me, but Padimus literally pulled me out of my thoughts and into the attention I have tried to bring to the walks since our recent unfriendly dog adventures. The dragon's breath wind reminded us that evening walks will end with the increasing heat...today barely temperate enough for two miles.

The park is deserted when we arrive...ah, Wednesday. No games on church night. 

We decide to check the mulberry tree on our way home and find enough berries clinging on (we expected the gales of the day to remove all ripe fruit) for a short picking before it is too dark to spot Jake the snake and other creatures in the grass.

We had picked about a cup of berries when a car pulls up to the curb and a woman exits. I wait (I think I need to get my eyes checked) until I hear her voice and then recognize my friend, Valeria. Returning home from choir practice, Valeria spotted us and stopped to meet Paddy. Always a friendly dog, Paddy went mad over V. I doubt I would still have a walking partner had I no leash today...Paddy continued to patiently sit, move closer and sit again for V to fuss over and pet her.

As the dusk began to threaten we said our goodbyes and headed home. The birds sang their evening songs and children played a few last minutes of catch in the dwindling light. Cats prepared for the prowl. The sun set yellow and pink and orange with the moon and evening star watching.

We are home just before dark as the breeze begins to cool and a train whistle calls in the distance...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for coming along on the walk. Your comments are welcome.