Saturday, February 1, 2020

Each Day is a Gift (Some More Than Others)


The best and happiest of my hours 
you know nothing about.
I have seen days like gold.
Gene Wolfe, On Blue's Waters

Today was one of those golden days. 

I didn't have too much on my list and I basically did what I wanted to do - breakfast with friends, a drive out to the ponds with Z, a walk in the park with VM and Z, a few moments answering email.... It sounds rather the same as many days are, but this day was bright and shiny and full of presents.

I do not post faces or names here (except for public folks or those who want them posted). So you will not see my friends' info posted -- to protect their privacy/security. But I can and need to comment on them as part of the list of the glories of this day. I am blessed beyond measure to have wonderful supportive friends who do what friends do. I was reminded of that today - through emails and messages and phone calls and laughter and "not letting me get away with anything." 

That would have been enough to "make" this day (or any day really), but I needed to take Z on a little adventure. We have been so bogged down in our schedule that we have somewhat neglected the furry ones. The cats don't care as long as they are fed and watered and allowed to sleep where they will. But Z needs more attention. And so we were off to the ponds. Zelda does not care what birds we might see. She only cares that she is allowed to come along on the trip. 

I care what birds we see. And see birds we did. The Bald Eagle was back on its perch. A Great Egret perched high -- across the pond. Its feathers blew in the breeze, a reminder of why these birds were once hunted almost to extinction.* The usual suspects were present (and some photos shared). 

The Great Egret showing its stunning plumage.

This is a different perch from yesterday...and a difficult one. The camera wants to focus on the tree.

I love getting a reflections. Greater Yellowlegs

Duck. Actually, it's a Gadwall. It is one of the species I know. They are almost always here and getting in the way of the other, more exotic, ducks. 

The Loggerhead Shrike is a tough little killer.** Look them up.

Then it was time to hustle back to town to take a walk in the park. Our park walks have been sporadic since the broken ankle (November 13 - no, not a Friday). One might call them "visits" not walks as I'm not "allowed" to hike.*** So the "visits" are generally short - less than half of our usual walks. 


The sun started to warm everything - including this Red-eared Slider hanging out in the middle of the creek.

This Great Blue Heron was intent on catching a fish below this snag. It didn't notice us.

But then some dogs came by - barks were exchanged. And we started hearing more of the calls from the Red-shouldered Hawks.

I've missed seeing these birds on morning walks in the park. I believe there were at least two of them.

And even today I announced I could only walk to the first bridge. I didn't trust the shoes. There was an art show I planned to attend later this evening. So, I would need to pace myself. 

But then our hawks showed up. At first we just heard them in Harris Community Park ---calling along the creek.**** One flew, and another, and then a third. Before I realized it I was well past the second bridge as I followed the birds and attempted to find where they had stopped.


Red-shouldered Hawk along the western edge of Yettie Polk Park.


As I approached the parking area I heard a crow and then a Red-shouldered Hawk. The crow is the darker bird top-middle of the photo. The hawk is about 1 inch to the right and a little down - a tan spot on a limb.


Only after watching the birds gliding above did I realize I had seen these three on Wednesday while in a neighborhood further to the west.

They are beautiful birds.


Here are two of the hawks and a vulture catching the gliding over the park.

Today they gave us a show - cries (really almost a call and response) followed by swooping displays aloft. At one point we lost sight of them and I finally turned back only to have them appear as I was nearing the car. Zelda made new friends with young people and we all listened and watched the hawks. 

On the way to the gallery show I made one last stop at the ponds and watched the sun set on the birds and insects and on this golden day.

Construction is underway along the state highway leading to the ponds. It looks like there will be little disruption of the wildlife. Let us hope.

The heron looks through with work for the day.

But as I came back past the pond it was hunting (and catching) dinner.

The last of the sunshine "lit up" swarms of tiny flying insects. 

NOTES:

**https://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Loggerhead_Shrike/overview
***The orthopods have rules and I'm trying to behave.
****Their nest is gone from its branch above the creek. I saw one bird on Wednesday
morning with nesting material in its beak (it was well away from where I wanted to see them building). So we watch for them and try and see where the new nest will be. Will it be close enough for us to monitor the long weeks of the mating season.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for coming along on the walk. Your comments are welcome.