Sunday, March 17, 2019

Albuquerque Adventure

When you turn around, you'll see something I bet you've never seen before. 
If it takes your breath away, then you'll fit in nicely. 
If you don't feel anything, then maybe you don't belong here.
Veronica Randolph Batterson

"Go to Albuquerque!" they said. "You will LOVE IT!"

Well, we are almost always up for an adventure so we wrote "Albuquerque" next to "Spring Break" and started talking about it. Once you have started talking about it, you are pretty much committed. So we asked for recommendations and started making reservations.

Spring Break is never long enough to do what you think you want to do. And this year we lost a couple of days due to a state academic competition. What are you gonna do? So I got to watch the state awards ceremony (It was great! The nephew came home with a few medals and I got to text family with photos and news.).*

The weather was crazy. We had rain, hail, winds, lightning, snow, and a bomb cyclone. I'd never hear of a bomb cyclone before we were in it. Fortunately we were at the edge and used those days of impossible wind to hit the museums - and the bead shop.

The food was amazing. We definitely got our fill of green chili.

People were friendly and our "docents" were the best. Really, they were the best.

So stand by for some quick tales and photos of our Albuquerque Adventure. [If you want me to summarize the "after action report" I can.

BEST: RF - Petroglyphs, DH - Albuquerque Museum, Walker - Volcano hike (maybe) and the docents/guides.   

WORST: I think perhaps the lack of time and spring break crowds in a few places.**

It's an alien landscape. I felt a bit like we had landed on the moon.

NOTES: 

*Okay. I did get lost once on the way to the ceremony, but I gave myself an extra hour, knowing that there was every chance I would get confused on the highways.

**Most of the recommendations we received were perfect, but do not think you need to stay in downtown. Only rush hour is ugly in Albuquerque. Stay in the hotel you want and explore from there. But if you go to Santa Fe all bets are off! The museums are great, but the streets are one giant maze. Study a map!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for coming along on the walk. Your comments are welcome.