Tuesday, January 1, 2019

First Day Hike?

And now we welcome the new year.
Full of things that have never been.
~ Rainer Maria Rilke

It was cold and damp. The creek was lower and a little slower so there a good number of fishermen (Maybe there's some southern tradition about fishing on new years?). The birds were skittish. Maybe they could tell there was another front coming - a change of barometric pressure.

We walked faster today.

The heron flew back and forth between the bridges -- startling at the flock of rock pigeons swooping around.

Today's hike echoed last year's first day hike only in the presence of the Cedar Waxwings. I knew they were back, but had not seen them. They too did not pose. My blurry photo was good enough for recognition. A fisherman came up from the creek and washed his hands in the pool where they had gathered briefly - frightening the waxwings, warblers (of course the Yellow-rumps were out to mock me*) and sparrows into more distant spots.

Yellow-rumped Warblers
I stopped twice as DH walked ahead with Zelda - once at the sandbar disclosed by dropping creek-level. There are so few modern clam shells, but thousands of fossils...bricks, glass, and chunks of
asphalt vie with limestone, quartz and chert.  The second stop was under the Penelope Street bridge. Birds distracted me.
Squirrel smells
Cheeky little creatures observe and chide us for disturbing their morning.
Pigeons sheltered between the concrete slabs. They walked along and disappeared - reappearing on the other side of the bird-sized passageways between sections of girders.

Pigeon magic - walking between the girders.

I heard the cheeping of house sparrows that had taken over the cliff swallow nests. At least I thought that was what I was watching (bad birder I). It was confusing. After many photos - difficult in the dim morning light and the shadows under the bridge - I resolved** to do a little research. [Once home I would learn that House Sparrows are notorious for taking over the nests of others - including cliff swallows.***]

Sparrow enters the cliff swallow next.

Resolving to monitor the ponds before the day was up, we headed home.

Now that's a lovely fossil!

NOTES:

*These little birds had eluded me on Christmas bird counts. They look like every other little brown bird and they are ubiquitous at this time of year. But if you look closely you will see the yellow tinges at the sides and on the rump. Only now can I "see" them. [Of course there are other yellow birds hanging around at this time of year - just to make it interesting.]

I fear I will never "care" enough to be a good birder. I love to see the birds. I enjoy their songs. I struggle for a photo good enough for identification. I rejoice at a good shot or two (when a bird humors me,  posing just long enough). But recognition of song, call, or appearance comes almost accidentally. I refuse to "study" or memorize. That would be work. I am done with work.

**I am not a fan of "resolutions." I can manage a few short-term items. A naturalist I watch on the database has a list of "goals" for the new year. I might manage something like that. [1-27-19 -- I have. I resolved to post at least one observation every day on iNaturalist. So far I average 21 per day.]

***https://thebirdersreport.com/wild-birds/cavity-nesting/house-sparrows-taking-over-cliff-swallow-nests

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for coming along on the walk. Your comments are welcome.