Wednesday, December 26, 2018

Happy Christmas in the Park (and on St. Stephen's Day as Well)

          Who was St. Stephen, and what does he have to do with Christmas, or Christians? Stephen was the faith’s first martyr, slain for suggesting, among other things, that God was not to be found in the temple, or in any dwelling made by human hands.

          As a Christian, I can promise you I fall short in lots of ways, especially in my consistent failure to treat other people with the love and grace they deserve. But on the issue of the temple, St. Stephen and I are of one mind. Most of the times that I’ve experienced the eternal are times when I was not sitting in an actual church.

          Jennifer Finney Boyland,  from 'Twas the Day After Christmas

These parks are church. We gather with others to enjoy the wind and the rain, the birds and the creek, the squirrels (yes, even the squirrels) and the park cats...and so much more. We gather to give thanks for all of it - for the silly ducks and the generous dedicated people who make sure they are fed. I sing of the caretakers - city workers (who make fallen limbs disappear almost over-night) and volunteers who pick up trash. I pass the peace to the runners and walkers, the strollers and the nut-gatherers. We are an odd community. But we are a community.

Peace.






Post Script:  5-29-19 I'm looking over all the drafts I have failed to post. Some are just titles I liked. Some are poems or song lyrics I love. Many will be deleted. This one probably wanted more photos, but it is not getting any. It is going to be posted as it, with this little "PS."

I spoke with my sister in the last couple of days. We talked about what we say when people ask our religion. We don't always answer what denomination we identify with...but we do share that we worship God in the wild.

I love these parks.

[Also, do check out the music referenced below. Songs from my young adulthood. Happy Christmas in almost June. Happy St. Stephen's Day a little late.]

"Joy, health, love, and peace be all here in this place"



NOTES:

*A little about Boxing Day/St. Stephen's Day with music https://www.nytimes.com/2018/12/25/opinion/boxing-day-origins.html?action=click&contentCollection=opinion&region=rank&module=package&version=highlights&contentPlacement=3&pgtype=sectionfront

The Chieftans -- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MyA1zKBUhxM

Steeleye Span -- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C_4lhU6q46Y


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for coming along on the walk. Your comments are welcome.