Monday, November 26, 2018

The Lion

If ever you feel like an animal among men, be a lion.
 ~ Criss Jami

Be a lion!
After a few days of shared meals and focus on giving thanks, we shared a few hikes with friends. Our good buddy SB, the dog whisperer came back for a visit!* We headed out on a few adventures including a couple at Cedar Creek.

Cedar Creek in the fall discloses many dangers...a sort of central Texas Serengeti. Come wander the grasslands and watering holes. And watch where you step.**

The sky was clear on on day with scattered clouds on the other. There's a dog hiding in this photo. [Fields of grass - yes, I fear snakes, but I "gut it up" and follow the dogs and fellow walkers.]
I often miss the blooming of the liatris here (see the spikes?). This area is open for dove hunting and so the best time for the fall wildflowers is hit or miss. So I forget about hiking here in the fall.
The dogs make good use of the deer trails.
This trail is along the edge of brush at the top of the creek bank.
It appeared that the tree was grinning at me.
TDW had removed a deer spine to the branches to keep the dogs from distraction. A curator of iNaturalist*** inquired as to the possibility of large cats in this area. I didn't tell him about the lion.
Hugo watched the girls run a little wild.
Zelda tried to convince him to play.
Zelda and Ruby sprint along.
Grass and dog glow golden in the sunshine!
A natural sculpture in the prairie.
"What? It was a very good smell. I look a mess? Really?"
Ram's Horn - devilishly designed seed pods. I'd only seen them described until our two walks.
Zelda came running up with something attached to her face.
This was wrapped around her neck. It was quite well attached. I suppose she is so low to the ground it grabbed her....
...and the next trip found one attached to my boot. I had to struggle to remove it. Very well designed seed pod indeed.
Goldenrod? It's pretty in spite of the allergies.
Balloon Vine
As some plants to go to seed others are starting to prepare for the spring. Texas Bluebonnets are popping up.
I've never found one of these before. I don't know what kind of insect left it behind.
I am always surprised at how much I love this place. Perhaps it is due to all the wonderful hours spent here with friends.
Soon enough the birds will be nesting here.

NOTES:

*And he will be coming back to visit and explore often. Hurrah!

**I fear snakes, but it is the stickers/thorns and grabbing plants one must fear.

***A friend posted Zelda's photo and the database identified her as a lion. Haha!



Zelda refused to wear her hat!
And it appears the faeries were messing with my camera. One never knows where they might show up. I am not surprised they love this magical place. We will have to mind our manners in future.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for coming along on the walk. Your comments are welcome.