Wednesday, January 3, 2018

Seeing Red

I just went out to walk the dog.

I didn't want to go out on this coldest day we've had all winter (it's warmed up to 20 degrees since the sun has been out). Zelda didn't seem to want to go out either, but we coated up and headed out.

Before we had gone 50 steps something big and grey flew out of the bushes edging our yard. It could have been anything. But that was just the start.

Zelda was sniffing around the park when I noticed something with a bright red breast perched on a phone line. Was it a robin? [I'd seen one yesterday near a Red-bellied Woodpecker. The woodpecker hangs out in a neighbor's tree. I am always excited to see him.] No, it turned a bit and I realized it was a male cardinal. Now the entire bird glowed red in the sunshine as it flew across the street and perched on a limb near us.

I watched it as it watched us. Then I realized I was standing all bundled up with my hands in my pockets, head tilted up, and mouth wide open. Zelda must be used to this as she sat down and waited. [What a good dog!] I suppose the neighbors are used to this as well. I'm still awed by a common cardinal.

We continued down the street and Zelda began to sniff around a yard, just as a tiny bird began to almost hover and flit along the edges of an oak. It had a little tuft of red on it's head. It was too big for a humming bird and too small for a woodpecker (and it wasn't acting like either). What in the world?

Well, it was a Ruby-crowned Kinglet.* I had heard of them, but this was a first.

We walked on and turned the corner for home. I wondered if we would see the woodpecker. But we were either too early or too late.

Did I mention the full moon huge in the sky at the end of the block as we walked along? It was a pretty, if short walk. I love these casual bird sightings. With no camera, I have to keep the images in my heart.

Notes: https://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Ruby-crowned_Kinglet/id



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for coming along on the walk. Your comments are welcome.